Monday, November 2, 2020

Election Eve

Happy Election Eve! 

So, I voted about 3 weeks ago. I filled out my ballot and dropped it off at a local secure drop off location and got the text that it was received and counted. I've done my part, right? Maybe. 

In general, I don't like discussing politics. It's a divisive topic and, being the true INFJ that I am, I avoid conflict at all costs. Which has included remaining quiet when I disagree with something or have a strong opinion about an issue because I don't want to "stir the pot". But, this blog (which is more like an online journal) has always been a safe space to speak my mind. Maybe because I have so few readers who know me personally? Perhaps because I can choose how and with whom I interact? Either way, due to the nature of this election and the strong feelings on both sides, I wanted to have a record of my thoughts and the reasoning I used to make the choices I did. So, here I am, blabbing away on this blog.

First of all, without any intent to offend, for those of you refusing to vote or voting third party because you don't like choices? Well, you are part of the problem. I am not a fan of the two-party system. But, until we revamp our voting system, including eliminating the electoral college, this is the way it is and voting for a third party is, in fact, a wasted vote. This is coming from someone who has voted for a third party in multiple elections and even in local elections this time around. I knew those were wasted votes when I cast them, but I felt ok about it because I "voted my conscience". However, this year, just like in 2016, is more about the greater good of the country, and my vote needed to be given to the person who most aligned with my morals and values. 

And, much to the dismay of the Republican Party and conservative Christians alike, that person is NOT Donald Trump. 

My feelings for him have not changed in the four years since I cast my vote (VERY reluctantly, if you remember) for Hillary Clinton. In fact, I find him more repulsive and vile than ever. His response to the pandemic has been a travesty. His perpetuation of systemic racism, misogyny, bigotry and outright hate is despicable. I mean he wouldn't even denounce white supremacy when asked point blank on live television. He does not represent family values, having cheated on every wife, been accused by dozens of sexual assault (including 3 minors) and has torn families apart for seeking refuge in this country. He's the antithesis of Who Jesus is and who He expects us to be. So, don't come at me with your "Christian values" mumbo jumbo. Because it's BULLSHIT. There, I said it. Sometimes, strong language is required and, in this case, there is no other word for assuming DT is a Christian. It's laughable, actually. He is not the candidate for family values. He's not pro-life, even if he is anti-choice. And, furthermore, to cast a vote on that one issue alone is naive and, frankly, irresponsible.

You guys. Abortion isn't going away. In fact, the only thing that will happen if RvW is overturned is more lives will be loss. Mothers and babies alike will die from botched, illegal abortions. Some will commit suicide. Some will take drastic measures at home to rid themselves of unwanted pregnancies. I consider myself pro-life. I absolutely believe that abortion shouldn't be a solution to unwanted pregnancies. I believe there should be low or no-cost access to birth control for all women. I believe we need to stop stigmatizing sex and start teaching our younger generations how to protect themselves. We can absolutely still teach our children the value of saving sex for marriage, but we cannot completely ignore the fact that they may be choosing to have sex, regardless of what they've been taught. 

What's more important to me is that I've raised my kids to be kind, compassionate, loving, giving, helpful, to love their neighbors, to treat others respectfully, to embrace diversity and to stand up for what they value. And, to that end, that includes telling them all these reasons why neither me nor my husband are voting for Trump. Recently, a friend commented on a FB post that Christians will be known by their fruit and stated that Trump's fruit is rotten. And, I whole-heartedly agree. I don't want my kids' fruit to be rotten. So, I focus on the values mentioned. Yes, we've talked to them about sex, about the value of reserving physical intimacy for the person they choose to be with for life, but did not shy away from also discussing the importance of protecting themselves from pregnancy as well as STIs. The Bible, specifically Jesus, has more to say about how we treat others than about sex before marriage, so we cannot teach our kids to make political decisions based on that alone. 

There are so many other issues to look at when voting for the candidate who truly values human life. Like access to affordable health care, especially for those most vulnerable, like those of us with pre-existing conditions. Or, what about a living wage in all 50 states? Oh, and then there's those hundreds of children separated from their parents? And, who is going to reduce spending on wars and allocate that toward education and ending hunger in the U.S.? Finally, what about the response to the biggest threat facing all humankind: CLIMATE CHANGE. These are all life and death situations. And, Trump has already proven that he doesn't care about any of it. That is not "pro-life". All that money he's put toward that stupid wall (you know, the one he said Mexico would pay for?) that could have gone to education or health care. Or to fighting the pandemic. He is such a fraud. And, it saddens me how many Christians have been hoodwinked by his lies. Including people I love dearly. 

In the end, everyone has already decided. In fact, a record number of people have already voted early. Nothing I say or anyone says will change anyone's mind. I just wanted to vent out my thoughts on this year's important election. For those who haven't voted, there's still time. Don't sit idly by and watch this country go further down the abyss. Get out there and vote. Drop off your mail-in ballot. And, wear a mask when you do it. 

And, above all, love each other. ♥️


No comments: