Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Pondering on Election Day

So.

I voted two weeks ago.

Anything that has happened since then is moot to my decision. But, to be honest, I would have voted the same way, regardless. I've made it no secret that I cannot, in good conscience, vote for a philandering, misogynistic, racist bigot of a "man" who has done nothing but bring disgrace to this election. One who has insulted women, people of color, people with disabilities, who has made light of sexual assault and who has viciously attacked his opponent and her followers. That was an easy decision. A big ol' NO. That being said, my conscience is also not okay with a woman who has deceived the American people and to whom "integrity" is a foreign concept. I don't want her as my representative, because I do not believe she represents what I want in a leader. But, I had to decide--"waste" my vote on a write-in or 3rd party candidate, or keep the lesser of two evils out of office (and away from nuclear weapon codes). I prayed about it. Extensively. I used my critical thinking skills and assessed all angles to come to the decision that I had to give my vote to HRC. Begrudgingly.

You guys.

This was the worst decision to have to make. Seriously. I haven't fretted so much over a decision since my husband and I decided to sign DNR papers for our son 8+ years ago. And, that's really saying something. It's a sad day for the American people when we're voting for who NOT to put in office. We had no good choices. Many of us voted the same way. Not because we agreed with or supported the candidate we chose (far from it), but because we disagreed with and did not want to be associated with a vote for the opponent. Sad.

I know what a lot of my Christian friends are thinking.

What about abortion? How can she vote for someone who is "pro-abortion"? First of all, none of us have to agree with everything a candidate stands for in order to vote for them. And, again, there is very little about Clinton's platform that I agree with--sensible gun laws, raising taxes on the very wealthy (and cutting their loopholes) and affordable health care are about all I agree with on the "liberal" side. Secondly, as much as I disagree with it, abortion is a reality. Whether or not a new SCOTUS will repeal RvW has yet to be seen. My vote cannot be contingent on a "maybe" because there are too many "definitely"s with Trump that my conscience cannot live with -- and, as far as Hillary goes, nothing there would change. I would continue praying for women who are put into this circumstances and to support preventative measures such as affordable birth control and reasonable sex education to our youth (parents, I'm looking at you). That's the best I can do in light of these times.

As much as I can't personally stand HRC, if she is anything, she is level-headed. She has not stooped to her opponent's level. She's presented herself with a level of decorum I would not have been capable of had I been in her shoes. And, she understands foreign affairs. She will make level-headed decisions when dealing with sensitive issues coming from our allies and enemies alike. She won't throw a tantrum on Twitter and start aimlessly pushing in nuclear codes when someone ticks her off.  I can give her credit for that.  And, that was the clincher for me. That is why I decided to cast my vote for her in the end. I would much rather have thrown it to a 3rd party or write-in, as I have done in 3 of the last 5 elections I've voted in. But, this election is different. I cannot be a part of putting that "man" in office. Under any circumstance. HRC showed herself to have human decency throughout the election and, in the end, that made her the lesser of two evils. Perhaps, if Trump had handled himself better, I could have been persuaded otherwise. So, while it still leaves a huge pit of dread in my stomach, I chose her. Or rather, I chose #AnyoneButTrump. And, sadly, she was the only one with a fighting chance.

In the end, we lose. I know that. But, I do not despair. For God is not red or blue. He is not affiliated with a political party, even if you believe otherwise. And, I'm choosing to trust who He decides to put into leadership, just as I have in the past. And, I'll continue to pray, no matter the outcome.

#ImWithGod
#MakeAmericaKindAgain

No comments: