So, I only have 4 months to read 20 books! That's a tough one, but I'm up for the challenge. This month, I still only read four. I really need to pick up the pace if I hope to meet my goal of 60 books!
Also, how is it October already? And, can 2020 finally spare us more misery? The fires were terrible last month...
1. Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate (Historical Fiction)
Despite its predictability and cliches, I enjoyed this story, told from multiple perspectives and spanning across generations. It's set in the deep South, it's the story of family and loyalty stricken by poverty and scandal. Four stars.
2. All Adults Here by Emma Straub (Contemporary Fiction)
This was an interesting read. It's told from the different perspectives of one family, with each member going through life-altering changes. I was definitely more invested in some characters than others. Worth a read. Three and a half stars.
3. The Ballard of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins (YA Fiction)
A prequel to The Hunger Games series. I found this to be a little slow and tedious. Both my kids (18 and 15; huge fans of the original series) agreed with me. There were definitely great parts to it and interesting background info, but it went overboard and I felt as though she wrote it thinking it would be a movie, with all the lengthy descriptions of wardrobe, character features and environments. 2 and 3/4 stars (because I can't quite give it three, but it's better than 2 and a half).
4. Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell (Suspense Fiction)
Loved this one. It was predictable, but did have one little surprise I didn't see coming. She really has a knack for drawing you into her characters' lives. I have yet to be disappointed by one of her novels. Looking forward to the next one that comes up in my queue. Four stars!
No comments:
Post a Comment