Sunday, November 1, 2020

What I Read: October 2020

 So, I'm not going to meet my goal of 60 books this year. I'm at 42 now and have two months left. No way can I read 18 books in that time with work and the kids and whatever holiday fun we can have this season. Normally, I read between 50-55 books a year and I thought I could crank it up this year. Chalk it up to 2020. Or maybe just choosing to do other things other than read... I managed four more this month. My new goal is 52.... Attainable. 

1. Hood by Emma Donoghue (Contemporary Fiction)

Note to self: you don't like Ms. Donoghue's books prior to 2004. This is the 3rd one I've read from that era and I just couldn't get into it. I really struggled to finish it. I think I'll focus on her newer stuff for now. Two stars for some witty dialogue and decent character development.

2. The Wife by Meg Wolitzer (Contemporary Fiction)

I've loved every book I've read from this writer (note: I've read them all) and this one was no exception. Now that I've read it, I am so excited to watch the movie. Highly recommend this writer and this novel. Four stars. 

3. The Favorite Sister by Jessica Knoll (Contemporary Fiction)

This writer is on fire! I liked this (her second effort) better than her first (which I also highly recommend). It takes two of my guilty pleasures (reality TV and dysfunctional families) and melds them together into this tale told from multiple perspectives. It's a great read. Four and a half stars!

4. I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara (Non-Fiction/Crime)

So, I may or may not have subscribed to HBO Max just to watch this documentary. And, it was well worth it. The book is so much better, obviously, because it contains so many details and words from the writer herself. If you're like me and enjoy reading about serial killers, you're going to live this one. Five stars!



No comments: