Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson
This is a unique retrospective story that spans four generations of women in England. It's a story of lost loves, new loves, uncovered secrets, lost dreams, and new hopes told from the perspective of the youngest of the 4 generations. (3/5 stars)
One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson
6 relative strangers' lives are intertwined after they witness a brutal beating of apparent road rage. Things aren't what they seem as the story unfolds, revealing plots of fraud, adultery, and murder.
(2.5/5 stars)
Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman (nonfiction)
The subtitle of this book sums up the gist of it: Becoming a Completely Committed Follower of Jesus. What does being a follower really look like? How can you tell if you're a fan or a follower? Idleman's book takes us through stories of both fans and followers in the Bible and in his own life to show the readers what the difference is and how we can change from being a fan to being a follower. (4/5 stars)
Scarlet by Marissa Meyer (2nd book in The Lunar Chronicles)
This story puts a post-apocalyptic twist on the classic Little Red Riding Hood fairy tale. Scarlet's grandmother disappears and is presumed dead by local police, who are unwilling to aid in locating her. Scarlet seeks the help of a mysterious stranger to uncover the location of her grandmother--and the secrets she holds about the elusive Lunar princess. Meanwhile, Cinder's story continues as she struggles with a new identity while on the run from the Lunar Queen, with an escaped convict.
(5/5 stars)
A Story Unfinished by Matthew Mooney (nonfiction)
The story of Eliot Mooney, whose parents celebrated his 99 days on earth with a photo a day. The book delves deeper into their daily lives before, during, and into the years that followed Eliot's short life. It's a story of triumph, defeat, grief, joy, turmoil, pain, and love. (5/5 stars)
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
A not-so-ordinary love story that spans decades. Henry has the unusual ability to travel through time. He travels to the past, present, and even future to spend all the time he can with his wife. (5/5 stars)
The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer
This coming-of-age story revolves around the lives of six teenagers who met at summer camp and how their lives intertwined and evolved over the next 35 years.
(4/5 stars)
I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai with Christina Lamb (nonfiction)
The story of a teenage girl who was shot by the Taliban in Pakistan for advocating for the education of girls. The book recounts her family's history and events leading up to the shooting and Malala's recovery. It's a fascinating story of determination, courage, and hope. (4.5/5 stars)
Favorites this month were Scarlet and A Story Unfinished. The latter is so personal to me, for obvious reasons, and I think that is enough to edge out Scarlet for my absolute favorite of the month. I liked A Story Unfinished so much I wrote a review for it on Amazon (something I've only done twice before) and am in the midst of writing a reflection on for this blog. But, I am really liking the Lunar Chronicles and encourage anyone who likes fairy tales to give the series a try! I will be reading the 3rd installment next month (as soon as my name gets to the top of the waitlist at this library).
Onto Month Three!
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
A not-so-ordinary love story that spans decades. Henry has the unusual ability to travel through time. He travels to the past, present, and even future to spend all the time he can with his wife. (5/5 stars)
The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer
This coming-of-age story revolves around the lives of six teenagers who met at summer camp and how their lives intertwined and evolved over the next 35 years.
(4/5 stars)
I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai with Christina Lamb (nonfiction)
The story of a teenage girl who was shot by the Taliban in Pakistan for advocating for the education of girls. The book recounts her family's history and events leading up to the shooting and Malala's recovery. It's a fascinating story of determination, courage, and hope. (4.5/5 stars)
Favorites this month were Scarlet and A Story Unfinished. The latter is so personal to me, for obvious reasons, and I think that is enough to edge out Scarlet for my absolute favorite of the month. I liked A Story Unfinished so much I wrote a review for it on Amazon (something I've only done twice before) and am in the midst of writing a reflection on for this blog. But, I am really liking the Lunar Chronicles and encourage anyone who likes fairy tales to give the series a try! I will be reading the 3rd installment next month (as soon as my name gets to the top of the waitlist at this library).
Onto Month Three!
No comments:
Post a Comment