I was blessed to have an amazing father growing up. Now, I was not raised in a Christian home, and my father is an agnostic, but he was a good father nonetheless. He helped me with my homework, played with my at the park, played endless board games with me, helped with school projects, went to as many performances as he could, taught me to love art and reading, taught me about the history of wars, with emphasis on the Civil War, WWII, and Vietnam, he taught me to drive. My dad was always there to talk to and never, ever passed judgment on my thoughts and ideas even if they were different from his own. He's always encouraged me and supported me through every decision, even the stupid ones. I had the privilege of having a Dad who cared about where I was, where I was going, and who I was going to be.
My children are blessed that they, too, have an involved father. I didn't think it was possible, but their dad is even more involved than my dad was. In addition to teaching our children, playing with them, helping with homework and projects, and encouraging them, he also prays with them and for them. He also volunteers in their classes both at school and church. He spends lots of one-on-one time with them and often takes them both to do an activity so I can have some time to myself. While I was in nursing school, he cooked and cleaned and became mom and dad to our kids. He's nothing short of amazing. Our children have the privilege of having a Dad who cares about where they are, where they are going, and who they are going to be.
But, there is a growing population of people out there who didn't and don't have fathers who have been present in their lives. Or, the presence is not one of care and support, but of violence and discouragement. For these people, Father's Day is not a day to celebrate, especially if they are single and without children of their own. Where's the example for these people? Who can they celebrate today, and every day? I bet you can see where this is going.
Of course, God is our Mighty Father. He cares about where we've been, where we are, where we're going, and who we're going to be. He cares about the state of our hearts and knows our innermost thoughts and fears. He is our Protector, Leader, Counselor, and Refuge. He heals us. He helps us through our troubles and guides us through our decisions. God can take the place of that missing father. Or mother. Or son, in my case. Or daughter in others. Or friend. God can fill any and every void. So, take heart, because you can celebrate today. Celebrate our father in Heaven--He is worthy!
Psalm 68:5-6 ~ "A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families, he leads out the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land."
No comments:
Post a Comment