Thursday, July 5, 2012

A New Season

Summer has finally graced us with its presence in Portland, Oregon.  I myself wasn't upset about our late spring/early summer rains.  I loved the fact that I was able to wear long sleeves during the first week of July.  I think 6 years of nothing but summer has given me a lifetime worth of it.  I love seasons.  The seasons in nature, yes, but also, the seasons of life.  Sometimes, those seasons can be difficult.  Sometimes, they seem almost unbearable.  And sometimes, they're exciting.  And wonderful.  Furthermore, these seasons can be a little of both.  I think I am embarking on one of those types of seasons.

I am about to enter the season of "nursing school".  It will be exciting.  Scary.  Unbearable.   Wonderful. And, from what I hear from many friends who are nurses, this is not something to take on half-heartedly.  You need devotion.  You need endurance. You need tolerance.  Patience.  And faith.  Lots of faith.  I think I am ready.  But, there is so much to do before even getting there and it is already a little overwhelming.  I need vaccines.  CPR updated.  Background check.  Drug screen.  I have to buy 14 books.  That's right, 14 books.  FOR ONE CLASS!  I have to figure out how my kids are going to get to school on the 3 days a week when I need to leave the house by 7am (and my husband's schedule varies month-to-month, so we won't know his availability too far in advance).  And how I am going to keep up with housework and PTA obligations?  I know these things will all be worked out, but still, my brain is on overdrive.  How will I handle all of these things, PLUS devote my time and energy to learning what I need to learn to be an effective and successful nurse?

Another thing I'm concerned about is my walk with Christ.  How can I manage my time so that He comes first?  Can I still make Him my number one priority with everything that nursing school entails?  And also be the mom and wife I need to be?  Those things need to come before school--and yet, I still want to succeed at school.  It seems like too much to juggle.  However, I have confidence that God has orchestrated all of this according to His plan.  So, I am pressing on, with complete trust in Him.

It's an intimidating new season I am entering.  I am so thankful I am not doing it alone!

Ecclesiastes 3:1 ~ "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven."

No comments: