This coming from Ms. Pessimistic herself. But, despite how down in the dumps I was feeling after my rejection from the PCC nursing program, I wasn't really ready to give up this dream. As impossible as it seemed, I still felt like nursing was a God-given goal that I still needed to pursue. After a few weeks of sulking, I started researching other programs. I went to a couple info sessions and decided I would apply to a Spring 2013 start program at Linfield College. This is one of the expensive private schools I had mentioned. I didn't really want to go through that program (or pay the 25K a year), but I still wanted to be a nurse and didn't want to wait around another year (with no guarantee that I would get into PCC next Fall either). I was planning to apply to Linfield this week, but then I got a phone call that changed everything.
Earlier today, the head of nursing admissions at PCC called and told me there was a spot available in the Fall program and they wanted to offer it to ME! What-the-what?!?!? How did this happen? I was 54th on the waitlist; no way 54 people turned down their spots. I immediately accepted and asked how it came to be that #54 would be offered a spot. She told me that 16 people either declined their spot, or didn't meet some of the other criteria to continue on in the process. Also, many people who were set to be on the waitlist didn't return their letter in time to actually be put on the waitlist and that I was actually #12. And to think that I wasn't even going to return the letter because I didn't think I had a shot at a spot!
So, miraculously, I am set to begin on September 24th (assuming all of my transcripts are in order, and I pass a background check, and my vaccinations check out). I cannot fully express how I am feeling other than to say that I am ecstatic! I was not expecting this. I already signed up for things at the kids' school next year that I am going to have to bow out of now. I have to figure out how the kids are going to get to school the 3 days a week that I need to be to school by 8am. I have to get vaccines and update my first aid and CPR certification (its been more than 4 years; last time I had a class was right before Ezra came home from the hospital). So much to do, and not a whole lot of time to do it (3 months goes by quickly). But, I am so, SO excited!
What this all comes down to is that you should never give up. Never count yourself out, no matter how bad it seems. I have two songs in my head right now: Don't Stop Believin' (Journey) and Faith (George Michael). Press on, despite what you think the outcome might be. I was mentally ready to give up, but I didn't. I let the emotional reaction pass, and then decided to hang in there. I think my faith was rewarded. And this isn't the first time (remember when I thought I was going to have to retake all those classes?). God works in mysterious ways. And He wants us to always have our faithfulness on display, no matter what the cost. He doesn't "test" us. He gives us opportunity to remain faithful to Him, even in the most dire of circumstances. And He always remains faithful to us, even if it doesn't always seem like it on our end. This opportunity was a miracle. I should not have been offered this spot (based on the observable statistics). But, here I am.
Now, I pray everything else pans out and I can start in September. I am really looking forward to this new adventure. Yay God!
(And not that this has anything to do with anything, but this is my 200th post!!! )
4 comments:
holy cow! this is incredible news sara! wow, wow, wow. congratulations.
SO, SO happy for you, Sara!!!
Congrats!!! I never doubted that you would be in nursing school sooner than later. This is awesome! We can console one another during school starting in the fall!
What-the-what is right!!!! What a faithful and abundantly giving god we serve! Oh and CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!! :D
Post a Comment