Wednesday, July 8, 2009

16 Words

Over the past six months or so, I have been following Francis Chan's sermons through his church's podcast. In one sermon from 2006 entitled "You Talk Too Much", Francis teaches that we so often come before God and forget WHO we're talking to--forget WHAT He is, and WHAT He's done. And we speak and sing and pray and worship without really thinking about what we are saying. That each time we pray or sing, its like making a vow to God. At the end of the sermon, Chan challenges his congregation to come up with a 16-word prayer to offer God. I thought I would give it a try--and man, it tough! Thankfully, God is so much bigger and wiser than we know, and He has time to here every word and every prayer. And He can listen to more than one at a time. It reminded me of Bruce Almighty, when everyone is praying and Jim Carrey's character cannot understand or answer because it is so overwhelming for him. Our God does not get overwhelmed! Praise Him! We can NOT limit Him to our human standards. We will never know, here on Earth, just how BIG He is--or how much power He has...the Earth, the galaxy, the universe are not enough to contain Him. I need to remember that when I pray to Him. Be truly AWED by His glory and majesty.

Here's my attempt at 16 words:
Oh, LORD, my God! Righteous and mighty! How can I fathom You? Praise You on high!

No comments: