Sunday, April 21, 2013

More Gun Control Blathering

Like 90% of Americans, I was disappointed when Senate failed to pass the bill that would require stricter background checks before someone could purchase a gun.  It is no secret that I am for stricter gun control.  I've shared my thoughts before and won't hash that out again.  I do realize how unrealistic it is to think that we can be a nation where only properly trained military and law enforcement have access to assault weapons.  I am willing to compromise.  How about if we make it next to impossible for untrained, mentally ill individuals to legally purchase these weapons?  Case in point--6 years ago, the Virginia Tech gunman was able to legally purchase not one, but two semiautomatic weapons--less than 3 months after being discharged from a psychiatric unit, where he'd been treated for bipolar disorder (possibly borderline personality disorder).  A week later, 32 people died.

Or, how about this?  In 2010, my son's 2nd grade friend and her family were murdered by her father (before he shot himself) with a gun he got a gun show without any background check at all.

Not enough?  Well, in April 1998 (15 years now....I can't even believe it), a good friend of mine--a 21-year-old recovering drug addict with bipolar disorder, was in a manic state when he legally bought a gun in Rhode Island.  At the time, he lived in Boston and was attending Boston College.  He was 2 months away from graduating with a degree in music.  But, his girlfriend broke up with him, which made him spiral quickly from a manic state to a depressed state.  He went back to self-medicating with elicit drugs.  On the night before Easter 1998, he shot himself.

And that is when the gun debate started for me.  9/11 hadn't happened yet.  Columbine hadn't happened yet.  But, it got me wondering how it came to pass that my friend could just walk into a store, flash his ID, and buy a gun.  I knew about the 2nd amendment but had no idea how many Americans actually owned guns.  And it was several years before I understood how little restriction there was to buying a gun in our country.  And, when I did, I was shocked.  And angry.  Columbine had happened by this time.  And a few other mass shootings, as well as 9/11.  It seemed maddening to me that a country would allow this to keep happening.  And then, it all just kept happening.  Not a year would pass after 2001 where we didn't hear of some sort of tragic mass shooting---many of them in schools, where innocent children were murdered.

So, yes, I am a supporter of much stricter gun control.  And nothing anyone says about the 2nd amendment will change my mind. (Although, I fully support you owning a musket.  Own all the muskets you want.  After all, those were the only guns back when the amendment was written).  Just like I know nothing I say will change the gun toters' minds.  Columbine didn't.  The Tucson shooting didn't.  The Amish school shooting didn't.  The Aurora shooting didn't.  The Sandy Hook shooting didn't.  THIS certainly won't.  I honestly don't know what will.  I just pray that it doesn't take the violent gun death of someone they love to change their minds....

And, now, a little comic relief, with a very vaild point.

No comments: