Monday, September 5, 2011

Reflections of Summer

Well, I know I've been pretty quiet on this blog.  I have used it in the past to post confessions, prayer requests, list-making, random blathering, complaining, and musing about faith, life, and family.  I have found that I haven't needed to "vent" as much lately; and I feel as though my faith is maturing as I am delving deeper in Scripture reading and prayer.  And that I need to keep that private right now; between God and myself, (and my husband, a lot of the time).  I am seeing sides of God that have always existed, because He doesn't change, but that I've had little experience with, or rather, I didn't want to admit were there.  It's been an amazing realization this summer, and has brought my faith a long way.  It has also helped improve the relationships in my life and the way that I see myself and others.

This summer has been so wonderful.  Enlightening.  Exciting.  I've been busy living life and discovering my new surroundings.  I feel so overwhelmingly grateful for this move from AZ to Portland.  It has been 100% beneficial.  Our quality of life has improved so much since this move.  We are all in better spirits.  We feel a greater connection to God through the nature and the people here.  As an added bonus, my health hasn't been this good since my early college days.  It has officially been 1 YEAR since I had a flare up of Crohns/Colitis.  I haven't gone that long without a flare up since 1997!  I usually have at least one a year.  Also, for the first time since 2004, I haven't had a major bout of depression this summer, which is another annual occurrent.  It's made the transition so much easier.

And now, summer is almost over.  My kids start at their new school tomorrow (after an extra-long summer break due to the vastly different school schedules of OR and AZ).  I am still trying to figure out the school thing for myself (I will be blogging about my current school woes at some point in the next few weeks).  For the first time since 2004, I was able to actually enjoy the summer.  It was wonderful.  I spent a lot of time with my husband and my children, and with God.  It kind of felt as if we were all getting to know each other again.  I am so grateful for it!  This nice break allows us to delve right into the schedules, the homework, the early mornings, the daily routine with rejuvenated minds and bodies.  We're ready for Autumn!  Bring it on, Portland!

No comments: