Saturday, August 1, 2020

What I Read: July 2020

I worked a lot in July and didn't have a ton of time to read. But, still managed to read 5, even though I technically didn't finish the last book until August 1. 😉

1. Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah (Contemporary Fiction)
An interesting story spanning over two different time periods, told from several perspectives. While I enjoyed the overall tone, I found myself bored More frequently than not. However, the story redeems itself in the end. A solid 3.5 stars. 

2. Long Bright River by Liz Moore (Crime Fiction)
My first time reading something from this author. While I liked the storyline and getting to know the characters, some of her writing style irked me (for example, she doesn't use quotations when characters are speaking). It sometimes made it a bit difficult to follow. But, an overall good read. 3 stars. 

3. The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson (Suspense)
What a bizarre book! What does it say about me that it’s one of my favorite reads this year? Oh, man. It has all the things I love about suspense thrillers—characters you get to know slowly throughout the book, multiple perspectives, flashbacks and a major twist/climax. If murder thrillers are your thing, read it! 
5 stars!

4. Such A Fun Age by Kiley Reid (Contemporary Fiction)
Another one of those summer quick reads. I really liked this author's writing style and the story being told from different perspectives. It was an average read, as opposed to a must-read. 3 stars.  

5. The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern (Fantasy)
I enjoyed this one, even more than I enjoyed her first novel (The Night Circus). She almost has a genre all her own. Her prose cascades and swirls and can sometimes be difficult to follow or keep up with, but it's completely mesmerizing. It's a heavy read, but with intriguing characters and storyline(s). 4 stars! 

No comments: