In an effort to be completely transparent in my attempt to reach my goals this year, I want to outline the issues at hand and have a practical strategy in place to reach those goals. This first post will be in regards to my health and meeting my goal of seeing the doctor and feeling/looking healthy again.
So, my physical health isn't so great right now, y'all. I'm tired, overweight and don't really exercise much, other than walking 30-60 minutes a day. Not just that, but I haven't had a check up since 2014, haven't seen the GI doctor since 2015, haven't had a feminine check up since 2012 and haven't had some things checked out that could pose potential issues. I have concerns about moles, about possible type 2 diabetes, about my thyroid, about ongoing sinus infections/migraines and insomnia. I've neglected myself far too long, and it's really time to nip it in the bud.
There are a lot of reasons I've gained weight, but mostly I believe it's due to stress (increased cortisol), lower metabolism, less time to exercise, being tired all the time from working night shift and having an odd eating schedule/habits. In the past, I've tried keeping food logs, counting calories, and putting restrictions on what I consume. I am not a crash diet kind of person. People have tried to get me to do the Whole 30 or Keto or shake diets to combat my weight gain, but I know myself and know there are certain foods I can't give up (yogurt, beans, honey and dark chocolate, to name a few), all of which I consume on a daily basis. I also realize my love of wine is a culprit for my calorie and sugar intake, so this is the area I decided to tackle first. While I don't plan to completely eliminate alcohol (yet), I have cut my consumption by about half, down to 3-4 (6oz) glasses a week. This will also include if I partake in cider, sour beer or a cocktail. My diet won't change much --I already eat a sensible diet and pay attention to portion sizes and calorie/fat/cholesterol intake.
As for exercise, this is where my biggest change needs to take place. I don't like gyms. I don't know if it's my anxiety, my OCD or being self-conscious, but I've tried them several times in the past and never last more than a few months (and didn't go often in those months). So, I know that's not for me. I love to hike and ride my bike, but I always feel so tired on my days off, I rarely do those things. So, I want to get back into a routine for that. It's difficult to do when I work different days every week. I can't just say, "Wednesday is hike day" or "Saturday is bike day", That won't work. And, because I work nights, I lose time on my days off catching up on sleep. So, right now, I am setting a goal to hike once per week and bike once per week, and perhaps go up from there once my energy is restored. I'm also toying with the idea of an elliptical for home.
And, then there's sleep. As a lifelong insomniac, I'm not counting on much change there. I already practice good bedtime habits. My room is dark, I have my fan, I have everything to make my sleep comfortable. But, as I sleep during the day 4 days a week or more, I have no control over outside noise that may interrupt me. And, I often sacrifice sleep to get things done around the house, go to appointments or obligations to family/kids. Yes, sleep is a rather difficult thing and, because I am usually paying back my "sleep debt" on my days off, that cuts in to availability to exercise. It's a vicious cycle. Siiiigh.
So, while I know my health isn't a "resolution", I also know I am getting older, and there is no time like the present to change bad habits and adopt healthier ones. I have a doctor appointment with my general practitioner the first week of February and hope to get referrals for a GI, ENT, dermatologist and endocrinologist. I will be getting labs done before that to check my A1C (for diabetes), my liver and kidney panels, as well as a regular CBC. I'm not sure what lies ahead, but it's time to stop avoiding these issues and face them head on.
Here's to healthy living in 2020! Cheers!
So, while I know my health isn't a "resolution", I also know I am getting older, and there is no time like the present to change bad habits and adopt healthier ones. I have a doctor appointment with my general practitioner the first week of February and hope to get referrals for a GI, ENT, dermatologist and endocrinologist. I will be getting labs done before that to check my A1C (for diabetes), my liver and kidney panels, as well as a regular CBC. I'm not sure what lies ahead, but it's time to stop avoiding these issues and face them head on.
Here's to healthy living in 2020! Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment