Sunday, October 19, 2014

Mid-Semester Update



I'm keeping-on keeping on with this nursing school gig. 9 weeks down, 9 weeks to go. I forgot how long the semester system feels. I'm starting to feel serious burnout--probably because I've been used to 11-week quarters for the past 3 years. Even though I prefer the semester system from a learning standpoint, from a psychological and physical standpoint, it takes its toll.

I started acute care last week and that was an experience (in a good way!). It was great to be "back at it" and I had a lot more confidence going in than the last time I was on Med-surg. I picked an "easy" patient for myself to get my feet wet and I will build up from there. I won't be back in the hospital until the 30th and I'll be shadowing a physical therapist all day, so I won't have any real patient care again until November 12th. Here's hoping I don't forget the skills I'm learning.

There are higher clinical expectations of us in this nursing program. Lots of paperwork, lots of tasks, and we're already writing care plans. But, it's different this time because the instructors are so helpful. I cannot emphasize this enough. Coming from a program where the majority of the staff was not helpful and really didn't care whether or not you succeeded, it's such a refreshing change to work with one who does. Perhaps that's why I'm thriving this term (that, and it's almost all review thus far). I don't feel intimidated or foolish asking questions. They're straight-forward about what will be on the test and quite fair when reviewing "questionable questions". I feel as though I'm really learning this stuff this time around and that's a good thing.

I've taken 7 exams total at this point. 6 As and 1 B (which was one point away from an A--grrrrr). I have my first "real" clinical skill test tomorrow -- Urinary Catheters. Fun! And medication administration testing next week. Once I pass those in lab, I will be allowed to do them at clinical. Exciting stuff!

I've branched out a little with my cohort. I've extended and accepted some friend requests on FB. I've set up a carpool. I've gone to a few different study sessions. Perhaps I am finally finding my niche? While I don't know if I'll be making lifelong friends this time around, at least I'm not feeling as isolated as I was in the the first month. It's encouraging.

I have 2 more exams this week and one of them covers some of the material I "failed" in the other program. So, I'm a little nervous and *actually* studying this time (which is not something I've been doing a whole lot of thus far). Hoping for continued As but will settle for Bs or even high Cs! (See how far I've come?!?!?)

I'm ready to tackle the second half of semester one. And only 579 days until graduation!




No comments: