Thursday, September 18, 2014

One Month In

Whew. What a month. I've taken 4 exams, 2 quizzes, turned in about a dozen assignments, and had four 9-hour clinical days. I also went to Portland for 3 days, got bronchitis, started getting a Crohn's flare up (prednisone is on board now), attended 2 BSF classes, served at church, and have done the wife and mom thing. Somehow, my house is still (mostly) in one piece, with help from my family. And, somehow, I'm still in one piece. The sleep hasn't been great, but it hasn't been awful. Holding steady at about 5 hours a night (my goal is still 7). I got As on both math quizzes, As on two exams, and Bs on the other exams (both were one question away from an A). My mood has been all over the place and there have been a few breakdowns, but overall, the first month hasn't been too bad.

Everything we've done up until this point has been pretty much review. Next week we will start learning some skills I didn't get a chance to learn at PCC (urinary catheters). However, the theory content will be mostly review for the next several weeks. Starting in November, I think it will be mostly new material and I'll actually have to *really* start studying. :)

Thankfully, I have a full team of support both locally and through my cohort in Portland (I told you they're the best). My family is amazing. I have several nurse friends in the area plus all those amazing nurses I know in Portland. I have my church family, both here and in Portland (and even some folks in Arizona). I'm still getting to know my new cohort. I've felt a little distanced from this new group and I'm not sure why. I'm definitely trying to make friends, study partners, etc, but it seems as though everyone has already buddied up and I'm feeling a little out of the loop. I'm just praying for two or three close comrades in this program--those precious few who I can break down in front of when the time comes (because we know it will). Time will tell.

There are still 610 days left of this journey, providing I pass through each term. That's a lot. But, I'm trying my best to take it one week at a time (because one day at a time will only make me fall behind). Overall, I like this program better--the staff are incredibly supportive, there's a lot more emphasis on remediation rather than the "screw up once, even a tiny bit, and you're out" philosophy. Our evaluations are based on our effort and output as whole, not just one score or grade, and the tests are so much clearer. Not easier, mind you (in fact, in a couple of them, I found them to be more difficult and we definitely need to know more info for each test), but clearer. And the instructors are always willing to discuss discrepancies with us both individually and as a group. I feel more supported by staff than I ever did at PCC. Everything just seems to be more organized and efficient. They've really impressed me.

Onto month two. All prayers are appreciated!

Studying hasn't been all bad....



No comments: