This post is not specifically addressing the Robin Williams tragedy. Nor is it a direct response to Matt Walsh's drivel from earlier this week (I'm not linking to it because, frankly, I don't want him to have anymore blog traffic--but just google "Matt Walsh Robin Williams" and you'll find the post I'm referring to). But, rather, it's a post about the common misconceptions surrounding depression and mental illness as a whole. Especially as they relate to those of us who call ourselves Christians.
First of all, clinical depression has nothing to do with life circumstances. Everyone gets depressed but not everyone struggles with clinical depression. I'm not fully qualified to explain the physiological or psychological abnormalities that contribute to depression; I can only speak from what I understand with my undergrad education in psychology and my nursing education thus far. And, from personal experience with it. However, you can read an excellent article (written by a licensed psychiatrist who also happens to be a Christian) discussing those points HERE. Sadness is a result of circumstances; it's a part of life. Clinical depression can hit despite what's going on in life. It's been true for me. Since the ripe age of 11. So, don't confuse sadness with depression.
Another distinction between depression and sadness is that depression can be concealed. Many of us who suffer from clinical depression will feel the affects of a bout early on and just continue on with life with smiles on our faces. We will continue to function. For a few weeks anyway. If our body doesn't compensate (on its own or with meds) for the hormonal imbalance, then you would likely see a rapid decline. It could literally be overnight. One day, you're functioning and the next, you can't get out of bed. And it fluctuates. Because hormone levels fluctuate. Sadness is a symptom of depression; it's not the same thing.
Contrary to popular belief, one can't just "choose" to be happy. The body doesn't work that way. If my neuropathways are out-of-whack, I can't just "snap out of it". Clinical depression is characterized by a chemical imbalance. It's not just going to go away by "thinking happy thoughts". Depression isn't a choice. Staying depressed isn't a choice. It's a biochemical screw-up in your body. Once the body begins to regulate it's chemistry (whether it's natural or with medication), you'll feel better.
This leads me to another point, one completely missed by Matt Walsh -- Depression is not a matter of lack of faith. While I'd agree with the point that depression affects a person's spiritual outlook, it by no means is caused by spiritual weakness. I'd argue that the opposite is true--depression can lead to a spiritual breakdown, and sometimes a complete unraveling of faith. And, then, a person can reach the point where they are so far removed that death does seem like the only viable option. Assuming that depression can be cured simply by having faith is naïve at best. I do believe in a God who heals. I've experience His healing first hand. But, depression, like cancer, is a disease that needs treatment. If you got a cancer diagnosis, you wouldn't just sit back and say, "Ok, God, heal me." You'd go to an oncologist and receive a proper course of treatment. And, you'd pray. It's the same thing with depression. You get a diagnosis and you find a course of treatment that works for you. It might be medication, it might be counseling, or both. And, you pray. Or you ask others for prayer. Or others will advocate for you if you are too far into it to ask yourself. If it is God's will to heal with a miracle, that's great--glory be to God! But, most often, He chooses for there to be other types of intervention when it comes to medical issues. And, guess what? When medical interventions lead to healing, GLORY BE TO GOD -- for giving us medicine, doctors, nurses, counselors and other medical professionals to aid Him in physical/mental restoration. And, that His Son is our source for spiritual restoration after a bout with depression.
In the end, depression is a disease. It's a part of the body. And it will die with my body. But, who I am, my character, will live on--for eternity. Because I'm a believer. So, no, Matt Walsh, my depression is not a result of a lack of faith nor can it be cured simply by "choosing joy". If the people who know me well were asked to write down five things they know about me, chances are, the word "Christian" or "believer" or "faithful" would be one of those words. Those same people would not use "depressed". Why? Because clinical depression doesn't define me. The same as Crohn's Disease doesn't define me. I've been battling these illnesses periodically throughout my life, and they are definitely a physical part of my being, but they are not who I am. And, I refuse to be shamed for having a mental illness I rarely have control over. And Robin Williams should not have been shamed either.
No comments:
Post a Comment