Here's a brief example from my own life:
I'd be content if only my husband's job was permanent with benefits.
I'd be content if only I'd been able to finish nursing school this year, as planned.
I'd be content if only my kids got along.
I'd be content if only my son didn't have behavior problems.
I'd be content if only I could get 7-8 hours of sleep per night.
I'd be content if only my son didn't have behavior problems.
I'd be content if only I could get 7-8 hours of sleep per night.
I'd be content if only I could own a house.
I'd be content if only I could have a few more friends in the area.
I'd be content if only I didn't have Crohns disease.
I could go on, but I'll stop there. What it boils down to is being content in our present circumstances (Phil 4:11-12). Even the tough ones. And our only "if only" should be "if only I had a deeper relationship with Christ". That's it. Our "if only" lists are standing in the way of our trust in Him and our trust in His will for our lives. What needs to change is our attitude towards our circumstances, not necessarily the circumstances themselves. Obviously, that's easier said than done.
So, in an attempt to attain my goal of being more content without complaining, I am putting my "if only" list aside. Instead, I will choose to be thankful my husband has a job and we want for nothing; that we live in a nice home in a great area; that I haven't had a flare up in almost a year (and haven't had a major one in almost 4 years); that I have many wonderful friends, even if I can't see them in person all the time; and that I have the opportunity to start nursing school again here in CA this fall. Yes, choosing contentment. And getting rid of "if only".
Saw this on Pinterest and thought it was relevant to this post. It's a quote from Sonia Ricotti.
Saw this on Pinterest and thought it was relevant to this post. It's a quote from Sonia Ricotti.

No comments:
Post a Comment