Thursday, February 7, 2013

When It's More Than You Can Handle

So, we've all heard that Christianese saying "God doesn't give you more than you can handle."  This saying has always kind of rubbed me the wrong way.  Not only is it a complete misinterpretation of 1 Corinthians 10:13, but it also implies that, as Christians, we should be able to handle anything.  This sets us up for disappointment when we can't handle situations.

Let's set the record straight.  God definitely allows more than we can handle into our lives.  I mean, really, who can 'handle' the death of a small child?  Or the impact of a chronic illness?  Or a broken marriage?  Bankruptcy?  Homelessness?  Yeah, these things are not "handled" very well.  Yet, they happen every day, to a variety of people, regardless of their beliefs.  And, because I believe God is Sovereign, I also believe He allows these things to happen.  This doesn't mean we have been tempted beyond what we can bear.  Temptation comes from Satan, not God (James 1: 13-14).  The Corinthians verse is stating a promise that God doesn't let us be tempted beyond what we could bear without falling into it.  And He is our resource to overcome the temptation.  This has nothing to do with life's tragic events.  They are a completely different story.

However, God is still our resource of strength and power to withstand the turmoil in our lives--be it the turmoil we bring upon ourselves, or those things out of our control.  I've been faced with these situations all too often in my life.  Even right now, I am facing something that is more than I can handle.  And Satan is using this vulnerability to tempt me.  But, I claim Christ as my Savior and cling to Him to withstand falling into Satan's trap.  I make this choice.  It is in my power.  The situations may be out of my control, but my reaction to them is not.  This is the "way out" Paul talks about in the Corinthians verse.  And that is why this verse is so precious to me.  It's a verse that demonstrates God's power and His love; a verse that allots me the freedom to choose God over sin.  And it has nothing to do with unfortunate life events.

So, when it seems like you're faced with more than you can handle, don't fear.  It probably is more than you can handle.  But, if you're a Christian, you have an excellent resource to keep you afloat instead of trying to tread water when you don't know how to swim.  Christ is our refuge and strength.  Choose Him and you won't be tempted by Satan's schemes.  Because nothing is beyond what God can handle.  Nothing is impossible for Him (Luke 1:37).

1 comment:

AZDonna said...

Thank you Sara!!! This is my biggest pet peeve about misinterpreted scripture. These verses are talking about the temptation to sin, not the ability to handle heartaches and burdens. It makes me angry too, to hear people spew this inaccurately, albeit with what I'm sure are good intentions. But I have always known (and especially so since our journey with Lauren) that many times we get pain and anguish that we can't handle. The burden is way too heavy. But God in his sweet mercy has sent us many friends and family to carry for us what is too much for us to bear. And that does help us go forward.