I try to stay away from controversial topics. I am a coward that way. I don't like confrontation, as I've discussed multiple times here. But, it is time I take a stand about something I am becoming more and more passionate about as I get older.
Guns.
I hate them. And, as long as I am living in a house, a gun will NOT be there. I don't agree with the 2nd amendment. I think it was written when war waged within our borders. I don't think civilians should be allowed to own guns. I know hunting is a big sport, but perhaps people could rent guns (after an in depth screening) for a hunting weekend, but not be allowed to keep guns at home. I know people want "protection" in their homes, but if you are actually being safe with your gun, and have it locked away, with the bullets in a different place, then it won't be of much use if you are surprised in the middle of the night by an intruder. Try a baseball bat under the bed. That makes me feel much safer. Especially since I knew a family in 6th grade who kept a gun in their home for protection. Their 12-year-old twin boys stumbled across it one day and started playing games. And then, Travis, the younger of the twins by 9 minutes, pulled the trigger and shot his brother Rory in the face. I later found out that Travis ODed in his late teens (started drinking and doing drugs not long after the shooting). So, yeah, I don't think guns as 'protection' in the home is a good idea when you have children.
How can we stand behind these "gun control" laws in this nation when tragedies like what happened in Newtown, CT today and in my own town, Portland, earlier this week continue to happen in our country? How can we justify saying it is ok for anyone to own a gun because he/she has "the right to bear arms" when innocent children have died? Do I need to bring up all of the past mass shootings in our country in the past 20 years? When will enough be enough? I am outraged. I am sickened. I am desperate for change.
How many more have to die before people get a clue?
Lord, help us all.
No comments:
Post a Comment