Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lent

For the past few years, I've ditched out on the idea of Lent (something I participated in for the first 8 years of my journey with Christ) because it had become ritualistic to me.  I wasn't fully participating in it as a way to get closer to God, but looking at it as something I "had" to do as a follower of Christ.  It did not pass me by that those few years (2009, 2010, 2011) were also huge spiritual struggles for me.  Especially 2010 and 2011.  I had become disgruntled with the American Church and didn't feel there was any way that I could be close to God as a lower middle-class American in suburbia.  Moving to Portland, and connecting to the city through Imago Dei, has completely changed my attitude about the American Church. Yes, it can still be about God.  Yes, there are people, right here, in this city, that can benefit from a group of people simply loving them.  Not just donating food/clothes and serving meals on Thanksgiving and Christmas.  But loving them through relationship.  Giving of your time, your art, the things you are passionate about to help people who don't have what you have-knowledge of the love of a Savior who DIED for them.  Being a part of Imago, and living in the heart of Portland (not in suburbia) where I am face-to-face with drug addicts, prostitutes, homeless vets, and scared runaways on pretty much a daily basis, I've seen how the Church can impact a city.  And a country.  And beyond.

So this year, I do feel as though I can honor God and grow closer to Him by participating in Lent.  I've decided to give up sweets and TV.  The sweets won't be too bad.  I've done it before; no biggie-except at the hormonal time of the month.  No cookies, cake, candy, ice cream, pancakes, french toast, waffles, etc.  I will still be eating fruit, yogurt (plain with added fresh fruit), pasta, bread, and cereal. TV is another story.  I've never given up TV completely before.  One year, I gave up the Food Network (that was hard, because at the time, it was probably one of the few channels I watched) and another year, I gave up "live" TV and only watched DVDs.  Well, this year, I am giving it all up.  No shows, no movies, no video games.  No TV.  We shall see if I can do it.  I really look forward to Family Movie Night every week and watching I Love Lucy with the kids on rainy afternoons.  And watching movies late at night with my husband.  Well, I am saying goodbye to all of that for 46 days.  I am giving myself ONE out with the TV thing.  The Oscars this Sunday (I am an awards show junkie).  BUT, I also started early, since I haven't watched TV since Monday.  So, the same amount of time is still "sacrificed".  :)

Happy Ash Wednesday!  Here we goooooooooo.

No comments: