Earlier today, Casey Anthony was acquitted of the charges against her in the death of her daughter, Caylee. I sat and watched live as the verdict was read, and I cried. I couldn't believe the jury would rule this way. The "experts" on the different news stations went on and on about no evidence and how the prosecution did not prove their case "beyond a reasonable doubt", but to me, the very fact that she never reported her daughter missing (her mother did---30 days after the fact) was evidence enough. As a mother, there is no way I would let 30 minutes go by without notifying someone that my child was missing (their Dad, a neighbor, grandparent, etc). There were far too many inconsistencies on behalf of the defense for their "story" to be credible. I feel an injustice has been committed against this little girl. This case just highlights the flaws in our judicial system.
In my opinion, reasonable doubt is subjective. Evidence is objective. So, logically, a person should be convicted or acquitted based on evidence, and not because of reasonable doubt. Sure, in the Anthony case, all the evidence was circumstantial, but it was there. Duct tape, expert testimony that the death was not accidental, decomposing DNA in the trunk, the smell in the trunk, Casey not reporting the disappearance, Casey's lies, Casey's erratic behavior. How the jury didn't even convict of child abuse or manslaughter is beyond me. I think the "beyond the shadow of a reasonable doubt" clause is like a guillotine hanging over a jury's neck. If they had come back with "guilty", there would have been appeals made by the defense, and reasonable doubt would have played a key role in their argument in a supreme court. All this costing the tax payers more time and money. But, with not guilty, there is no appeal and the case cannot be tried again because of the "double jeopardy" clause in the constitution (another thing I have issues with). Case closed; "justice" served. Well, I don't think that it is justice. I think its a travesty. I am so distraught by the fact that this little girl is dead and no one will be held accountable for it; at least, not here on earth.
That got me thinking about God's justice. He is the Almighty Judge. And He deemed all of us guilty; not because of a lack of reasonable doubt (which the Pharisees are quick to offer) but because of evidence. Sin. And an injustice exists because Christ paid for our crimes and we are set free. So, this injustice was in our favor. For us, that means we are reconciled to our Creator and we can truly live.
But, here on earth, injustice looks different. There is no reconciliation, no freedom in it. It's just an ugly reality of the corruption and naivety of the human species. It exists to showcase our culpability as sinful creatures. It shows us that we are unreliable as leaders. We need to submit to true Authority. Only then can injustice (Christ's death) be used for good, rather than a picture of a crime going unpunished.
Habakkuk 1:3-4 ~ "Why do you make me look at injustice? Why do you tolerate wrong? Destruction and violence are before me; there is strife, and conflict abounds. Therefore the law is paralyzed, and justice never prevails. The wicked hem in the righteous, so that justice is perverted."
Psalm 9:7-9 ~ "The LORD reigns forever; he has established his throne for judgment. He will judge the world in righteousness; he will govern the peoples with justice. The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble."
No comments:
Post a Comment