Monday, June 27, 2011

The Power of Words

Remember the old adage: "Sticks and stones can break your bones but words will never hurt you"?  In my life, I have found the opposite to be true. I have found that words can penetrate much deeper than a bruise or broken bone. Words can kill a spirit, can smother the heart. Words can tear relationships to the point where you think they cannot be mended. Words, when threatening, or accusatory, or cruel, can cause so much damage that a person might decide not to live anymore. Take the bullying epidemic. Not a week passes where there isn't a news story about it. You read such extreme stories about when the one who was bullied decides to kill him/herself. Yes, words are indeed much worse than sticks or stones.

I've had some personal experience with the damage words can do (we all have, for that matter). I was in an emotionally abusive relationship back in high school.  This boy would consistently tell me how worthless I was; how ugly I was; how I would never be good enough for any other man, so I should be grateful that he wanted to be with me.  His words have stayed with me all these years.  After I first accepted Christ, I struggled trying to reconcile my esteem issues with what the Bible says about my worth.  Sometimes, I admit, I still struggle with it.  It doesn't help that there are so many believers out there who abuse the Word and use it to condemn people rather than uplift them.  People, who call themselves Christians, who take the Word and use it to judge, to accuse and belittle, and say hateful, hateful things.  It's horrible and not glorifying to God when people use Scripture in such a manner.

Bones heal quickly, in the grand scheme of things. A damaged spirit is much more difficult to heal. I still struggle with after effects of what that boy's words did to my esteem, to my spirit. I haven't looked at myself the same way since then, almost 20 years ago.  And I've lost friendships and damaged other relationships because of words, either those said to me or ones I said to someone.  Words can be dangerous, so proceed with caution.  They have the power to destroy, but also the power to heal.  The power to restore.  We should strive to encourage with our words, not tear down.  We should strive to be helpful, not judgmental.  We need to use words constructively, not destructively.  The power of our words effect so much more than just our bones.

Proverbs 12:18 ~ "The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing."


Romans 14: 13 ~ "So let’s stop condemning each other. Decide instead to live in such a way that you will not cause another believer to stumble and fall." (NLT)


Romans 14: 19 ~ "Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification." (NIV)