Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Just Enough

In spite of my "List of the Week" this week, I really am not one of those people who always has to have the most and the best of things. I am ok in my 1600 sq. foot house (in fact, I was ok in my 1000 sq. ft. house, except for the lack of garage/storage for our bikes and its greedy HOA); I am ok that we don't have cable/DVR/satellite; its ok that my kids go to public school; its ok that we don't have the best clothes. I know how overprivileged I am to have a house, 2 cars, 2 computers, 2 cell phones, the internet, clothes, good food, etc, etc. I've never had to wonder when I would get my next meal. God has given me an abundance, so much that it is overflowing. And I am thankful. Sure, once in awhile I have a little pity party, and pout about not having cable/DVR; not having enough money to travel or to jump on a plane to see our family whenever I want; not being able to just drop $40 on a date night with my hubby (plus more $ for a babysitter); not having a smart phone. But, I remain thankful for what I have because I know it is more what 2/3 of the world has.

Recently, during my Bible time, I read Proverbs 30. And I decided that for 2011, verses 7-9 would be my daily prayer. I don't want to get caught up in my wants. I don't want to drown in materialistic things. I just want to serve God. I just need enough to be able to do that. Give me what I need today: health, food, shelter, and rest. Just enough. No more, no less.

Proverbs 30:7-9 “Two things I ask of you, LORD; do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, ‘Who is the LORD?’ Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God."

No comments: