I've been writing this blog for a few weeks now. I started writing it in my head a couple months ago. I have been hesitant to post it, fearing backlash. But, after some sound advice from the word of God (Gal. 1:10), I decided that I didn't care. Besides, not many people read this blog anyway, so this is really just me venting. :)
So, I have not been too hip on "going to church" the past few months. I've been reading my Bible a lot this year, more than usual (which was a lot to begin with), and praying, and am becoming more disturbed by how skewed the American church is compared to what I read about in the Bible. From where I sit (as a member of a megachurch in Phoenix), it's become one huge commercial. Endless advertising (Facebook, Twitter, emails) and phishing for attendees with big name speakers and popular Christian bands. Opening several campuses with services on video. Granted I like having services available to see or hear online if I have to miss one, but to open another campus JUST to stream a video. Ludicrous! It's becoming more about the preacher and less about the preaching. Not saying that the sermons aren't good or that the staff of the church intended it to be this way, but alas that is what it has become. Why put a service in a community just to show a video?? Why not get a new pastor to preach the same message? That is how it was done in the Bible. Disciples were made and were sent off to preach the good news. That makes much more sense. But, you see, in megachurches across the United States, its become about the pastor and people only want to go to see that specific pastor. Its horrible. I am not saying these churches are bad; many (like the one I belong to) do great things for community and share incredible truths about the Person of Jesus Christ. But, its just gone too far. And like everything else in America, its becoming more about the numbers and less about the message.
The whole situation makes me uneasy. I feel stuck and completely out of place in what should be the body of Christ. I'm not sure the American Church even functions as "the body of Christ" anymore. When I hear stories from my missionary friends in Thailand and the Domincan Rupublic, how they experience true unity, I wonder, "Where did we go wrong?" Their blogs don't say "So and so's message today was so great" or "Had a great time with my girlfriends at the women's conference". Their blogs talk about GOD's message. About seeing Him move in crowds of believers who were standing for hours with the arms raised in praise. About dozens of lost coming to the throne and laying their lives down, weeping as they accept the gift of grace from Christ Jesus. About miraculous healings. About building communities and helping the orphans and widows. THAT is the Church. And that's what I would love to see in America. Its just that we are so spoiled here; we have this insatiable need to be "fed" the Word of God instead of seeking it ourselves. Rather than seeing it in action in other parts of the world. Ever wonder why God seems so much bigger in third world countries? Its because they haven't been disillusioned by the American dream. They aren't consumed by capitalism. It's sad. And now, for me, it's frustrating.
I am not sure what God wants me to do about it. Change churches? I don't think that would help. Become a missionary? I haven't really felt that call (at least not to go abroad....maybe He wants me to be a part of revival here in the U.S. But where?). Sell everything, give it to the poor, and follow Him? Maybe..... I just don't know anymore. So, I keep praying and seeking an answer. For now, I will just continue to read His Word and seek His guidance through prayer. He is faithful and He will show me the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment