Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lent

Every year (since 2004), I participate in Lent, even though it is not really a traditional Christian holiday anymore (Google it to learn more about the tradition). But, it is a spiritual exercise of sacrifice and self-control and I am all for demonstrating that to my peers, children, co-workers (well, classmates), etc. I usually give up a food and an activity. Its a good way to get a conversation going with someone about my faith. If I give up blogging or I am out somewhere and I don't eat a specific food, someone might ask why and I can share about Jesus' 40 days of temptation in the desert and of His ultimate sacrifice on the cross (as that is what Lent is supposed to represent). However, I feel like I've "used" everything in the past 6 years that I have been doing it. Some things I cannot "really" give up because they are a part of daily living (driving, phone, internet). I cannot give up the internet because I am in school and need it for that purpose. Same reason for driving (school is far and my time is very limited so I cannot bus it). Some things are too "easy" and I don't really look at it as a sacrifice (for instance, not drinking soda....I very rarely drink it anyway). I am stumped this year. Here it is, after sundown, and Lent has officially started and I have not even decided what to give up. I thought about TV, but I only watch it two nights a week anyway...it feels too easy. I thought about facebook, but could not bring myself to commit to that as it is almost the only way I communicate with people now. Food-wise, I have already given up chocolate, candy, fast food (and I almost never eat that anymore), red meat, all drinks but water, and pork in previous years. So, yes, stumped is what I am. Usually, I pray about it and God leads me right to the things I need to fast from...not this year though. UGH.

Luke 9:23 "Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me."

No comments: