Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Get Your Kicks

Our church is doing a read through of the Bible this year. They are calling the challenge "Route 66". Its a famous highway, a famous song, and the 66 books of the Bible are famous too (though perhaps not everyone knows that there are that many). Many other churches have done and are doing this challenge. Its not really a challenge for me, as I have read through the Bible every year since 2003. But, this year is going to be cool because our church is taking part in it, and my husband is too! So, he and I are incorporating it into our family's daily prayer time together. Its awesome to hear my not-quite-8-year-old read Psalms and Proverbs. He reads them every night. Our five-year-old listens, but really doesn't have the attention span for it. We let her do what she wants because we like her participation in prayer time. Peter and I read the other part of the daily reading together as often as we can, but mostly its on our own time. Its going to be a great read-through and I pray our family can keep up this enthusiasm as we get busier throughout the year. It is only 6 days in after all!

Join us, if you are up to the challenge. You can find the reading plan our church is following at the One Year Bible website.

2 comments:

Audrey said...

How awesome that you are doing this as a family! What a blessing that will be for the kids, and parents, too!! :)

Jessica Rene said...

Very cool! I have to say I get curious each time you mention the Route 66 readings on Facebook. I did not realize there were that many books in the Bible!