Friday, August 21, 2009

Back to School

Yep, you read that correctly, I am going back to school! My first day is tomorrow at 8am. Biology. It's a pre-requisite (one of 5 that I need) for the nursing program. Am I nuts? Do I really want to add more to my already busy life? Do I really want to inundate myself with 4 more years of school to be an RN? Yes, Lord. I say it that way because I know that this opportunity is totally from God. All my life, as far back as I can remember, I wanted to be a teacher. I have a bachelor's degree in developmental psychology because the plan was always to go back and get a Masters in special education and work with students with disabilities. My plan was to be a teacher, or maybe a developmental specialist. God has a different plan altogehter...and its taken me awhile to respond to it. Never, in all my years of contemplating a career, did I ever want to be a nurse. And then there was Ezra. The Lord prepared my heart for him in so many ways. First, in college, when I had the opportunity to work with children with autism, which made me change my mind of being a "regular" teacher to being a special ed teacher. Then, after I graduated, working with adults with disabilities for 6 months. Even with Jeremiah, and the struggles he had with speech the first 5 years of his life was preparing me for the journey with Ezra. And so, over the course of his life and after his death, my heart was turned in a totally different direction. Nursing. I am SO grateful for the nurses who were apart of our lives the first 3 months of Ezra's life (and in the last month of his life). They were amazing. And now, I feel like God has shown me yet another opportunity--to serve not just children with developmental problems but their families as well. And so, I am embarking on the quest to become a NICU nurse. Its going to take 3 semesters to finish my pre-requisites and then 2 years to finish the nursing courses before I can get my RN. Its going to be long and challenging, but I am so excited! I believe whole-heartedly that God has provided this opportunity so I am seeking it with prayer and faith. He will be one step ahead of me every step of the way! So, I covet your prayers for all of us through this new adventure. Pray for my overall health, for the kids and Peter as we adjust to the new schedule, for focus and perseverance. I know that it will be a challenge to juggle being a wife, mother, homemaker, and student all at the same time. But I am confident in Christ, in whom I can do all things (Phil 4:13). So, let the journey begin!!!

No comments: