Lev 5:5 "When anyone is guilty in any of these ways, he must confess in what way he has sinned..."
So, this week, on more than one occasion, I found myself in a predicament. I found myself in a conversation that could honestly be construed as gossip. Usually, if the conversation involves more than one person, I just keep quiet and divert my attention elsewhere. But, of course, I still hear it--and in a sense was still a part of that gossip. Sometimes, if the talk is really bugging me, I quietly excuse myself from the group. This week, I was among a group of people and the conversation took a turn toward gossip. I did not excuse myself. I wanted to hear about what they talked about--wanted all the juicy details. But, I did not want to participate with any words of my own, and I knew my opinion would be asked of. UGH. I offered my choice words, being careful with the language and tone of voice I used. But, still, it grieved my heart. Once away from the group, I prayed silently and sought forgiveness. But, I can still feel the sting of the conversation as I write about it several days later. And to make matters worse, a couple days after that, I found myself in a one-on-one conversation with someone and gossip became an issue. Now, these situations are much harder for me because I can't just listen quietly without a word. I have a few options: make an excuse to leave the conversation (in this case, I was on the phone with the person), just "Mmhmm and oh yeah" in all the right parts, or change the subject. Oh, yeah, or I could participate in the conversation. What did I choose? I made up an excuse and got off the phone. Ugh, I am such a coward. And add to that, I sinned by lying about needing to get off the phone. Double-whammy. **She shakes her head in shame**
1 Tim 5:13b "And not only do they become idlers, but also gossips and busybodies, saying things they ought not to."
No comments:
Post a Comment