Only four books again. I blame this partly on the fact that the digital library catalogue isn't as vast as I would like and several of the books I want to read aren't on it. However, my library reopens next month, so I will have more books to choose from at this point. Excited!
This book surprised me. I quite enjoyed it, even though it's not my usual genre of fiction. The characters were likable, the story engaging, and it took place in a little beach town I know and love. Four stars!
2. Sold on a Monday by Kristina McMorris (Historical Fiction)
This book takes place in the years following the Great Depression. It's intriguing from the get go and the characters are full and balanced and each have their own voice. Told from multiple perspectives, which is usually a winning element for me. Four stars!
3. The Testaments by Margaret Atwood (Fiction)
The long-awaited follow up to The Handmaid's Tale. I stayed open-minded, because the show has strayed away from the original novel. I was hoping this wouldn't just be a retelling of what's happened on the show, and it's not! But, I think it paves the way for the show to continue for several more seasons. Four stars!
4. White Fragility: Why It's So Hard For White People to Talk About Racism by Robin Diangelo
(Non-fiction)
Had to step up my game in the non-fiction department. This book came highly recommended and for good reason. I think it's a travesty that it's taken so many deaths for many of us to come to term with our own attitudes about racism, our biases and stereotypes and, especially for white people, our extreme privilege. Read it. Five stars!
No comments:
Post a Comment