Friday, January 31, 2020

What I Read: January

I used to post the books I read every month back when I was active on this blog and wanted to start that habit up again. I have a goal to read 60 books this year and this may be a good way to hold myself accountable. I would need to read 5 books a month to meet this goal, and I am off to a good start! Last year, my goal was 80 and I only read 69 books. So, I decided to be more conservative this year, especially since some of the books on my list are longer reads.

I will post titles and authors, genres and whether or not I liked the books, in case anyone holds my opinion in high regard for reading recommendations. Ha! So, here's 2020's first edition of What I Read.

1. All Fall Down by Jennifer Weiner (fiction--dysfunctional family)
I've read several of Weiner's books and this reads a lot like the others. I enjoy her style and character development. A good book for a weekend away or airplane ride. Three and a half stars.

2. The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware (mystery)
She is quickly becoming one of my favorite writers. This is the third book of hers I've read (In A Dark, Dark Wood and The Turn of the Key) and possibly my favorite thus far. Five stars!

3. The Cases That Haunt Us by John Douglas and Mark Olshaker (true crime)
I love the show Mindhunter and am still on the wait list for that book. This one came up first and it's a great read about different serial killers. Highly recommend. Four and a half stars.

4. Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid (fiction -- chic lit)
This is the third book I read from this author and it was a great read. An interesting concept for a story and great characters. Perfect for reading on your weekend. Three and a half stars.

I only read four books, but the Douglas/Olshaker one was pretty long and took a full week to finish. And, I had two vacations this month (and not the kind that allowed me to sit and read) plus two weeks of working extra shifts. I'm still at a good pace and am already halfway through book 1 of February (will probably finish by Monday). Happy Reading!

No comments: