Monday, August 8, 2016

The Next Chapter


Today was the day! I started my first nursing job! It was less than a week after passing NCLEX that I accepted the offer from a local hospital. I'll be working on a telemetry unit. I'm super excited. No, it's not the NICU. And, frankly, that dream seems pretty far away at this time. But, it is still the ultimate goal and in the "five year plan". Lord willing. For now, I am grateful to be hired pretty much right out of school at a great hospital. And, even though I was offered a position on the L&D/Mother Baby unit, I chose this position instead. You might be wondering why I chose this area of nursing rather than the area that works with babies (my whole reason for going into nursing in the first place). Well, it's a little complicated, but makes the most sense for me and my nursing journey.

(1) Skills
On the telemetry unit, I will have the opportunity to further develop and adapt all the technical skills I learned in nursing school. There are so many that I only got to do a handful of times (such as starting an IV) and a few I haven't done at all (working with a chest tube, for example). If I went to a selective specialty such as Mother Baby or L&D recovery, I'd be letting go of the chance to utilize many of those skills. And, I really don't want to lose the skill before I even have a chance to use it.

(2) Time Management
The NICU is a stressful place. It's a lot of work under a due amount of pressure. I need to continue to develop my time management/prioritization skills when working with patients with a variety of needs. The best place to develop those skills is on the telemetry unit.

(3) Variety
Not gonna lie. L&D/Postpartum can get a little boring. Doing the same things day to day. I would prefer working in an environment where I can deal with a variety of health issues. So much variety on tele!

(4) Sick vs. Well
People on the L&D/Postpartum unit are not sick. And, in my heart of hearts, I want to take care of sick patients. While it's an amazing experience to be a part of bringing a new life into the world, it's not really where I feel my calling is.

(5) My Own L&D Hang-up
So, don't hate me, but, I 'm not entirely down with the whole "giving birth in a hospital" thing. Don't get me wrong! I am so grateful for the interventions in two of my three births that saved either my life or my babies' lives (or both)! But, I am one of the small percentage of people who actually need medical care with labor and delivery. The majority of patients are healthy individuals who could easily give birth at home with a midwife, as women have done for so many thousands of years prior to the mid-20th century. Do I think the unit is necessary? Absolutely. Some women really need the care. But, honestly, I think it's almost better for a healthy baby not to be born in a place where sick people are....

So, there you have it. I am delighted to be starting on this unit. And, I know it will afford me the skills necessary to transition over to NICU when I (and a hiring manager) think I am ready to do so. But, for the next 2-3 years, say hello to one of Marian Regional Medical Center's newest telemetry RNs! :)

No comments: