Sunday, April 20, 2014

Why I Celebrate

Easter is sacred. It's not about bunnies, eggs, candy, or pastel dresses. It's the commemoration of the most important event in human history--the resurrection of the Son of God. This day is sacred to those of us who claim Christ as Lord. Because we've admitted our need for a Savior. We understand that He died for our sins; to save us from the punishment we deserve. Yes, each one of us deserves the confides of Hell for our disobedience to God the Father. But, in His great mercy, we need not fear. Because of Jesus and the work of the Cross. And anyone without the knowledge, belief and proclamation of the Risen King has no true understanding of Easter. What you "practice" on that day is false. It could just be any other Sunday.

I, too, was guilty of this false celebration. For 23 years, I dressed up, searched for colored eggs, gorged on candy and food, spent time with family, and completely ignored the Risen Christ. I didn't know Scripture and I didn't care. When I was a kid, it meant getting together with family and overindulging. But, that first year after surrendering my will to Jesus, I finally understood why this day is holy. Set apart. I don't worship a dead King. I worship a Living God, who is as relevant today as He was 2000+ years ago. I celebrate what He did for us. I worship Him who took my shame and gave me righteousness. His sacrifice on the cross was the perfect example of faith, obedience, and love. And His resurrection gives me hope.

By His wounds, we are healed.

Romans 4:25 ~ "He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification."


No comments: