Tonight, in our family Bible time, we read through Luke 11. When we came to that passage about the six woes, I couldn't help but think of the current state of our country, divided over a law (the Affordable Healthcare Act). And those words Jesus uttered about a house divided against itself will fall (v. 17). It devastates me that we've let it come to this--that something as simple as health care for everyone would divide a nation. How can we let this happen? Especially, us; those who call themselves followers of Christ. Many of those opposed to the law are people I know to be loving and generous Christians. But, I can't help but wonder how one can oppose something that will help the less fortunate--something Jesus was very passionate about.
These are the woes that stood out to me:
Luke 11:42 ~ "Woe to you, Pharisees, because you give God a tenth of your mint, rue, and all other kinds of herbs, but you neglect justice and love of God."
Luke 11:46 ~ "Jesus replied, "And you experts in the law, woe to you, because you load people down with burdens they can hardly carry, and you yourself will not lift one finger to help them."
Wow. There it is. That twist in my heart. Jesus wasn't kidding around. We are called to help those whose burdens are greater than ours. This law is a chance to do that. And, many Christians are justifying their opposition to the ACA by saying that the government shouldn't be involved, and that churches should be taking care of the sick, the poor, the homeless. I agree, actually. But, really, is the church going to pay my medical bills? Or anyone else's for that matter? Some churches do offer medical care, such as check ups, flu shots, and vouchers for certain prescriptions (like antibiotics), but none that I know of offer colonoscopies or Remicade treatments. I don't know what it would look like for the church to truly take care of the sick among us. The sick, like me, who can't get insurance due to pre-existing conditions. I won't go in to all of my insurance woes over the years. That's not what this post is about. This post is about how Jesus' words to the Pharisees apply to us, here and now.
By opposing this bill, are Christians neglecting justice? Is this what it looks like to "love our neighbors as ourselves"? Can we really love God by ignoring the needs of His children? It seems like those in opposition to this bill are ok with the idea of letting people continue to live without affordable access to health care--which can put them in life-threatening situations. And, in doing this, are we burdening them with a load too heavy to carry alone? If not the ACA, what does "lifting a finger to help them" look like to the millions without health insurance?
If we can't answer these questions, than woe to us. Woe to us....
Matthew 25: 41-45 ~ "Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’"
No comments:
Post a Comment