Monday, April 2, 2012

Cleaning for Christ

Colossians 3: 23-24 ~ "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.  It is the Lord Christ you are serving."

So, I have a confession to make.  I am not very good at applying this verse to my life.  Seriously.  I am curious to know which followers of Christ believe they do apply this verse to their lives.  How often?  How well?  Can you provide examples from your daily mundane routine (for example, cleaning the toilet) where you utilize this verse fully?  Really, I am looking for motivation here.  Inspiration.  There are brief moments, when I am in action, and fully incorporating this verse, without even thinking of it.  These times are usually when I am overwhelmed with joy and gratefulness (laughing at my husband's jokes, playing a game with my children, cooking dinner, teaching Sunday school).  Perhaps that is why we are told to "Be joyful always" (1 Thes 5:16).  Perhaps, if I were "joyful always",  I could do all things (including mopping, a task I detest) as if i were doing them for Christ.

In the end, if you call yourself a follower of Christ, you are doing everything for Him.  And in His name.  He is the epitome of our existence.  Nothing we do should be done without acknowledging that we get the ability to do it from Him.  When I consider the weight of that statement, it gives me the desire to live up to the command (yes, command) in Colossians 3.  Every day.  In all things.

Even mopping.

No comments: