Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Accomplishment

There is just something about finishing a project or reaching a specific goal that gives a person a newfound appreciation for his or her abilities and a boost in self-esteem. It gives you the confidence to pursue other projects and goals. It also gives you a feeling of satisfaction to see what you've accomplished.  Yesterday, we finally finished putting the house together after our move last week.  There are still a few photos to hang, and we want to purchase another rug or two, but everything is put away in it's place and the house is organized.  I feel so good having accomplished this task in 6 days.  That sense of accomplishment is a great feeling, but one that can easily be misplaced.

Sometimes, we see accomplishments as a result of personal sacrifice and hard work. Other times, we think that they are from something bigger than ourselves, like God, or for some people, "fate". However, as a Christian, I believe that God provides everything that is necessary to achieve certain goals. For example, our recent move was definitely a mixture of both hard work and the will of God. We praise Him first because not only did He answer prayers about relocating and working things out to make the move possible (finances, living arrangements, etc.), but He also provided us with the faith and energy and perseverance to work hard for that goal.  I believe He should be given the glory for "our" accomplishments.  And, at the same time, I can feel satisfied that the goal has been reached and I am now free to pursue and fulfill another one.

It's not uncommon that I would reflect on accomplishment today.  It's my birthday.  I am 34 years old (at 9:22am).  It's only natural that I would be looking back at what I've achieved and looking forward to what else I want to accomplish.  I feel accomplished in some areas and not-so-accomplished in others.  My parents can also feel a sense of accomplishment to see where the efforts of their child raising have brought me.  God used them instrumentally to shape me and lead me in a specific direction that would eventually lead to Him.  And that is the point of all this--God is the source of everything we need.  We come from Him and we will return to Him.  Throughout this life of mine, I must first give glory to God, who has been there since the beginning. Who knew me before the creation of the world. And who has provided me with what I need to accomplish things every day, be them big or small. Thank you, Lord, for my life. Praising you for the journey that's behind me and the journey to come.  Grateful that You know what's ahead in my 35th year and that you will be gently guiding me along the way.

Deut. 8:17-18 ~ "You may say to yourself, “My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me.” But remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your ancestors, as it is today." (NIV)



2 Corinthians 17-18 ~ "As the Scriptures say, “If you want to boast, boast only about the Lord.”  
When people commend themselves, it doesn’t count for much. The important thing is for the Lord to commend them." (NLT)

No comments: