Friday, February 18, 2011

Why My Husband is the BEST

I was wrestling with where to post this blog--here or on the family blog. I decided here because this is more of me babbling away than an actual update, and I like to reserve the family blog for updates. Anyway--today is my amazing husband's birthday. I often proclaim to be married to the best man on earth and I stand by that claim. I really can't list some of the more personal reasons why I know he's the MOST INCREDIBLE husband EVER, but here are 33 reasons I can share (he's 33 today).

1. He loves God. His first loyalty is to our Father in Heaven, and that is so important for our family.

2. He works hard. He has a thankless job--it doesn't pay much, has horrible hours, he has to work nights, weekends, and holidays, and he deals with snarly teenagers. Yet, his patience is neverending. And he never complains about work. He doesn't even call in sick when he is sick. His work ethic is higher than anyone I've ever met. He's incredible.

3. He is a wonderful father (in fact, I think he's the BEST Daddy too!)

4. On that note: he volunteers in the kids' classes every week.

5. He makes their lunches for school.

6. He gets up with the kids. Every day. He knows I have a hard time sleeping and lets me get as much rest as possible. I usually crawl out of bed in time to pray and kiss them goodbye.

7. He still opens doors for me and teaches our son to do the same.

8. He mops. Its one of the few chores I dislike and he willingly does it for me once a week.

9. He also does dishes on the two nights a week that he is home. I don't mind that chore, but he wants to help out so I can have a little more "me" time in the evening.

10. He puts gas in my car. He knows its not my favorite thing to do, so he does it.

11. He often has to work his two jobs (oh yes, he has another job as a crisis counselor) and then also takes over the household stuff because a flare up puts me completely out of commission. It's incredible. I don't know another soul on earth who can take on so much and keep it together. Sometimes, I wonder if he's Superman.

12. He often surprises me with little gifts. Like Kit Kats. :)

13. He's ok with a trip to the market being our "date" for the week.

14. He supports me spiritually, physically, and financially. He is 150% behind my decision to go back to school to be a nurse. He is my #1 fan, who keeps me pressing on, thru bad grades and discouragement. He's a great cheerleader!

15. He silently puts up with my bad moods.

16. He puts up with my OCD quirks (and there are a lot of them).

17. He's been really gracious about our massive increase in the food budget since we started buying organic a few years ago. He has been a big help in shuffling the money, sacrificing certain things, and going from place to place to find the best priced stuff (we live in AZ, so the farmers markets aren't great. We are "stuck" with the overpriced health food stores and Trader Joe's).

18. He watches cheesy TV with me (I will spare him the ridicule and I won't name any shows, but my guess is most husbands wouldn't tolerate it!)

19. He puts up with my obsessions for Edward Cullen and Dexter Morgan.

20. He will go out and get me something if I have a craving it (and not just when I'm pregnant).

21. He's HOT!

22. He cares about the environment.

23. He deals with my hippie tendencies.

24. He used to drive me to and from school so I didn't have to deal with the horrific parking ordeal (my new schedule doesn't allow for this, which is a huge bummer)

25. He runs many of the tedious errands (bank, post office, etc).

26. He's the guinea pig for my cooking (the good and the bad).

27. He almost always apologizes first on the rare occasion that we have an argument.

28. He calls me from work "just to hear my voice".

29. He stays clean shaven (most of the time) because he knows I like it. (Even though he prefers to have a goatee because without it, he looks 20 and unintimidating to the kids he's in charge of.)

30. He doesn't obsess over sports. Really. I am more into them than he is. He does like hockey, but he doesn't "live or die" to follow games or teams or anything.

31. Even though he's a cat person, we will be getting a dog when we have a pet because I am a dog person and he wants to make me happy! :)

32. He does the grocery shopping! Some of the time, we go together and call it a date, but often, I am busy with school or kid obligations or am sick, so he does it.

33. He loves me unconditionally. I know that sounds "typical" but, I can tell you from hearing things from friends, that not all husbands love their wives unconditionally (and vice versa). I am not an easy person to love, but he does. Go figure!

And these are just the things I can share. He truly knows how to love, cherish, honor, protect, and provide for his family. He lives up to every vow we made to each other on our wedding day. There have been more bad times than good, more sickness than health, and more poorer than richer; yet he's the same today--except stronger and more committed than ever. I cannot imagine life without him and pray that I never have to experience it. I am blessed.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PETER!!!

2 comments:

AZDonna said...

Aww, that's so sweet. He sounds like a keeper!

Hubby said...

Thank you my dear. You are very sweet to brag on me. I love you too.