So, its been a few weeks since I've written about this subject. That's not to say that its been that long since I've done something that's required a confession--Ha, far from it! Honestly, some of the things I am struggling with seem minute in comparison to what I've read on blogs or discussed with other people, so I feel silly writing about them. That being said, I need to confess that I have passed judgment on these other people. And whether I like it or not, that makes my no better than the self-righteous religious leaders whom Jesus so often chastised. So, I seek forgiveness for these judgmental thoughts. I am the last person who has the right to throw stones. My sin is as great as anyone else's. And one day, I will stand before the Holy Judge, to Whom I will have to give an account of every evil deed I've thought, said, or acted upon (if I can even remember them all). Thankfully, I have a Redeemer who has washed that sin away with His blood. I am so grateful, as unworthy as I am, that I can come before Him and receive mercy, forgiveness. I am so thankful for second chances!!
I love the example of Jesus in John 8:1-11. Jesus happens upon a group of Pharisees condemning a woman they've accused of adultery. They try to trick Jesus into saying something against the Law so they'd have an opportunity to arrest Him. But Jesus simply states "If any of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her" (v.7). This got them to back off and leave. The kicker is when Jesus asks the woman where they went and if any of them had condemned her (she says no) and his answer is "Then neither do I condemn you. Go now and leave your life of sin" (v.11). Jesus, the only Person who ever lived that was without sin, the only One with the authority to do so, did not even condemn the woman! Not only that, but He gave her the opportunity to turn from that sin. I fall so short of being an example of His grace. I am so grateful that He will always provide me with another opportunity to do so.
Matt 7:1 "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
No comments:
Post a Comment