Work has been insane. That being said, I still managed to read 6 books this month. And, let me tell you, a few of them were a struggle to get through, but I did it.
1. One by One by Ruth Ware (Mystery)
Such a strange book. I never felt connected to the story or the characters, which is so unusual with Ware novels. I do not recommend this one, but recommend all her others (and I've read them all). I'll give it 2 stars for effort. ★★
2. Want by Lynn Steger Strong (Contemporary Fiction)
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but I ended up really liking it. I wasn't always a fan of the voice of the first person storyteller, but the story unfolded so well. I would have appreciated different perspectives, since we all know that is my jam. 3.5 stars! ★★★✰
3. The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets by Nancy Springer (YA Mystery)
I absolutely love these Enola Holmes books. I can read one of them in just a couple of hours. The characters are so bright and the perspective of the young Enola Holmes is endearing. I cannot emphasize enough that this is a great series to read with your tweens. 4.5 stars for this one! ★★★★✰
4. The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan by Nancy Springer (YA Mystery)
I loved that there were returning characters in this one and more progress on the original mystery Enola was solving. 4 stars! ★★★★
5. We Are Okay by Nina LaCour (YA Fiction)
One of those coming of age stories so endearing to many Gen Xers like me. LaCour is really good with her character development over the coarse of the story, which keeps the pages turning. Her voice is muted and subtle, almost introverted. And, I adore it. This is the second book I've read from her (The Disenchantments was the other, which I also recommend) and I'm putting the rest of her catalogue on my to-read list. 4.5 stars! ★★★★✰
6. The Dilemma by B.A. Paris (Mystery)
Somewhat predictable, but good nonetheless. I think I've just read so much of this genre, I've become a bit of an expert in predicting the "big twists" and plot points. I think I keep reading them because I love the constant internal dialogue I have while reading them. And, this one was a page turner because I wanted to see if I was right! Great book. 4 stars. ★★★★
No comments:
Post a Comment