I can't breathe.
That should have been it. That should have been the point where someone, anyone, stepped in to offer medical assistance to George Floyd. The coward of a "man" holding him down should have been forcefully removed. Airways should have been checked. He should not have had to die with the weight of three grown men on him, holding him down for (allegedly) using a fake $20. He was not resisting arrest. He was struggling to breathe! The body takes over at that point. Fight or flight. He was trying to break free so he could breathe.
Breathe.
I suffer from debilitating anxiety and panic attacks. I have had that sensation of not being able to breathe. Only, mine is all in my head. It's terrifying. But, still, I cannot imagine how excruciating it was in George Floyd's last moments of life, begging officers to let him breathe. I get so angry, still, thinking about this two weeks later.
And, it took 5 days and severe riots before anyone was charged with a crime. Why?
Because George Floyd was black.
And, this has become a sad reality in our nation. Police officers killing black men, citing resistance, drug influence or self-defense. And, citizens shooting black CHILDREN and getting away with it (I'm looking at you, George Zimmerman). And, we as a nation, are becoming immune to it, because it's happening so often. Just like school shootings.
THIS ISN'T NORMAL.
It should not be tolerated.We should be uprising to support our black community and fight for justice for them. I'm absolutely not condoning violence or looting of any sort, but I am all for peaceful protests, like the one shown below. Those people are laying facedown with their hands behind their backs, chanting "I can't breathe". It's powerful. It's peaceful. It speaks volumes. I can't breathe. I saw many similar photos on social media depicting peaceful protests. These protests far outweighed the violence and looting, but were not reported on, except for those who participated or witnessed through social media.
Y'all. BLACK LIVES MATTER. Period. I am so done with the "all lives matter" rebuttal in all of this. All lives can't matter when black lives are in jeopardy every day. When we have systemic racism that has only seem to grow over the past decade instead of ween. And, where were these chants of "all lives matter" when children were being gunned down in schools? When children were being thrown into cages at the border? When immigrants seeking asylum (NOT A CRIME) were being beaten and thrown in jail? When families are starving or dying because they don't have access to affordable health care or food or housing? Where is your "all lives matter" then? If you're going to be pro-life, be pro-life. But, being pro-life doesn't just mean being against abortion. But, that's a topic for another time. I don't want to detract.
BLACK LIVES MATTER.
My husband and I decided to take our stimulus money and donate it to BLM causes and to George Floyd's and Breonna Taylor's families directly. It's the least we can do. I'm linking to some reputable sites and encourage you to consider donating. Because we can breathe.
George Floyd Memorial Fund
Justice for Breonna Taylor
Black Lives Matter Global Network
NCAAP Legal Defense Fund
ACLU
No comments:
Post a Comment