Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Making the Switch!

Well, it's about to happen. I am about to get to live the dream of a night shift (NOC) nurse! I am about halfway through my new grad orientation, which means it is time for me to make the transition from days to nights. While most people dread this specific "rite of passage", I am really looking forward to it with a sigh of relief. Days just aren't for me.

These first two months of the orientation have been a roller coaster. I had a difficult time, at first, adjusting to my role as an RN, especially on a high acuity unit with a lot going on. There were moments when I doubted myself and my decision to accept the position on such a stressful unit. I remember two distinct times, while casually talking with my boss, where I wanted to tell him that I'd made a huge mistake. I remember praying and asking for the courage to do it. I also remember praying that the director on the mother-baby unit would still consider me for a job on that floor (a job I turned down back in June). But, as the weeks continued, I finally found my groove. I had not one, not two, but three doctors compliment me to my preceptor about my communication skills. I got 5 "spirit grams" from patients who took the extra step to extend their appreciation for the care I gave them. I got a whole new perspective of my role and it gave me the push I needed to persevere. And, now, I can say with confidence that I made the right decision choosing the telemetry unit.

As I sit here at 3am (awake since yesterday at 5am), prepping for my very first night shift, I am overwhelmed with gratefulness and so excited to be starting the next chapter. As with most things in life, I've compiled a list of pros and cons to working nights. As you'll see, it is a no brainer why it's the right shift for me. While I know it will present challenges of its own, I know it is a better fit for my personality.

Cons (I couldn't think of many):

  • Trying to sleep during the day 
  • Not working with the day staff I've come to know and appreciate. They are awesome!
  • Having to page doctors in the middle of the night
  • Less people on the floor to help 


Pros:

  • Fully embracing the night owl in me
  • Less tasks to get done
  • Less things to coordinate into my plan of care (no PT/OT/ST, no discharges, no MD visits, no consults, the list goes on)
  • Shift pay differential 
  • No lightning rounds
  • Less people (introvert heaven)
  • Less interruptions
  • More time for the "caring" part of nursing

So, there you have it. I'm off to bed soon, hoping to get at least 6 hours before the first night. See you on the flip side!



No comments: