Monday, August 11, 2014

One Week!

Just one week until I go back to nursing school. I'm all kinds of nervous-excited. I mean, having been through it before (partially), I have an idea of what to expect, and the first semester will be a lot of review for me, so I feel like I have a little bit of an "edge" over the rest of my classmates. But, let's face it, it's been almost 2 years, and this is a whole new program, so I'm starting from square one. And I'm okay with that. In fact, it's a bit of a relief to know I won't be returning to the program I came from--the one where over 1/4 of the class didn't graduate on time. It's a true second chance--not just a do-over. And I'm super encouraged by what I've learned about the program and that the staff at my new school truly do want us to succeed.

I have a game plan for the next two years. I will be doing a lot of things differently. Here's a breakdown of my "will and won'ts" during nursing school.

(1) I won't compromise my time with God. He will be my first priority--time in the Word, in prayer, and continuing to serve in the church and in the community. Also, BSF to keep me accountable.

(2) I won't ignore my family. I understand I will have to sacrifice time with them (in fact, I have to miss my kids' first day of school because I have clinical orientation that day--their dad will be there). But, I plan to map out time each day to sit with each of them and get my daily fill. I believe this will be beneficial both for them and for me.

(3) I will take care of myself. I did a great job of that the first term of nursing school, and then things got complicated and my well-being went to the wayside. This time, sleep, exercise, and diet will be priority. I will have a strict bedtime and wake time and I will pack healthy lunches and snacks every day. I will continue with my evening walks and try to ride 20 miles a week on my bike.

(4) I will pencil in fun time with friends. Even if it's just once a month.

(5) I won't focus on my grades/GPA. My GPA is already ruined thanks to PCC (because only there would 84% be considered a D). As a lifelong straight-A student, it was difficult to accept those B and C scores I got the first time around. I won't let that bother me this time, so long as I pass. :)

(6) I will celebrate milestones (and reward them). I did that last time and it was a huge motivator.

(7) I won't compare myself to others. It's toxic and I think detrimental to one's success.

Get ready, Nursing School 2.0--I'm coming for you!

No comments: