That's it! Just 100 days until I go back to nursing school! I have to say, the excitement is different the second time around. You have an idea of what to expect; you have a
little more confidence; but, at the same time, you understand how much you
don't know and how easily that could cost you your dream. I'm anxious to get back at it, to see what I still remember, nearly 18 months since I last "practiced" (by the time I start school, it will be almost exactly 18 months since I've been in school). But, I'm still terrified of the unknown--the other students (because, surely, no one is as awesome as my PCC 2014 cohort), the teachers, the nurses I'll be working with, the new material. Plus, I'm headed to an all new program, one that does things a lot differently (I've only heard about it from alumni--I'll get full details at my orientation in a few weeks). This is probably a good thing, because, from what I heard, the program I'm entering into really does care about a student's success. My PCC cohort lost more people in it's 2 years than Cuesta's lost in the past decade (19/78 students "failed" and 3 others withdrew!). Scary stuff. Plus, Cuesta has a higher NCLEX pass rate. This is encouraging to me, but still doesn't completely erase the fear of failing again.
Over the next 100 days, I'm not going to do a lot to prepare, other than maybe some reading and practicing some manual blood pressures and CBGs. I have some pre-nursing school things to get done (renew CPR/AED, drug test, background check, physical and make sure I'm immune to everything I'm suppose to be immune to). I also plan to spend a lot of time getting my house organized, cooking meals to freeze, making jam and canning beans, baking bread to freeze, filling out the calendar with important dates, But, aside from that, the most important thing I hope to accomplish this summer is to enjoy as much time as I can with my family. We will be unplugged as much as possible. We will enjoy nature, games, and have a few road trips planned. I want to make it a summer they'll always remember. And one I'll cherish throughout the year, when I'm sacrificing time with them for school. And, it will be baseline for what to expect next summer, when I'm in-between years 1 and 2.
100 days of freedom left. And, then, Nursing School 2.0!
No comments:
Post a Comment