Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Why I Don't Declare A "Side"

(Yep, this sums it up for me.....)

So, me and politics aren't a good combination.  I don't know much about it, I'm not interested in it, and I don't like discussing it.  But, as an American, I am thankful for my privilege to vote and for my right to freedom of speech.  So, I realize that I have to make certain political stances in order to vote and voice my opinion.  But, I have a hard time with the whole bipartisan thing.  I don't fit in to either party--I am not a Republican, but I am also definitely not a Democrat.  I am registered as "undeclared" because I don't like to affiliate myself with any party.  I think it's annoying that we have to declare anything at all.  Just let us vote.

The reasons I don't fit in neatly into either party is because I have strong stances on certain issues, and these issues often are conflicting within a particular party.  For example, I am pro-gun-control, pro-public-aid, pro-ACA, pro-birth control, against the death penalty, support equality, and I am a proponent of clean energy and understand that climate change IS happening.  So, yeah, a Republican I am not.  However, I am pro-life--I think abortion should only be allowed in cases of rape, incest, young age, or if the mother's life is in jeopardy.  It's probably the biggest conflicting issue for any involvement in the Democrat party.  Both parties spend too much on military and not enough on schools.  Both parties have lying, cheating, law-breaking politicians.  Both parties have been guilty of treason and pretty much all other sorts of wrongdoing.

So, while I vote in every election, I don't declare a side.  I vote for people I think will best fulfill the duties of the job title.  And to pass certain legislation that I think will better my city, state, and country.  That's my prerogative as a US citizen over the age of 18.  And I'm grateful for it.  But, I don't need to take a side.  I just need to take a stance.

2 comments:

AZDonna said...

Your general political stance seems to line up as moderately liberal even though you have the lone conservative hold out of being pro-life. And I suspect that is more due to your Christian beliefs than your political ones. The main disadvantage of not registering with a party affiliation is you can't vote in primaries. Remember, there is nothing forbidding you from voting for a candidate in the opposite party during general elections just because you are registered the other way.

Sara Marie said...

Well, I've been pro-life a lot longer than I've been Christian--since I first heard of abortion in 10th grade. I just think it has to do with my love for children and how much human development I've studied.

The first year I voted, I voted for GWB. I was a recent convert to Christianity at the time (as in, maybe 3 weeks old) and thought, "That's just how Christians vote". That was in 2000. I did not vote for him in 2004 (voted for Nader). I voted for McCain in 08 and for Gary Johnson in 2012. As I've gotten older, my stances for certain things have gotten stronger. Perhaps someday I will declare a side, but now, I just feel I need to have a voice without saying I'm for one party or another. As far as Congress, Govs, and Mayors go, I've voted fairly evenly between Dems and Repubs.