Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Dear Survivor

Dear Survivor,

I don't really know what you're feeling today.  Even though I've experienced unfathomable loss, I don't know the loss you feel.  Your husband or wife.  Mother or father.  A friend.  A child.  Aunt or uncle.  Was it a grandparent?  I don't know.  Perhaps it was more than just one person--a group of co-workers, friends, family.  Whoever it was, you've survived and they have not.

Or, perhaps, you, like me, don't know any of the victims of that fateful day.  But, you feel the sadness and loss of a fellow human.  A fellow citizen.  Or perhaps, the loss of feeling safe, of feeling secure in your country, your city, or even your home.

Perhaps, like me, you're wondering why?  Why did this happen?  Why these people?  What purpose is this serving in the grander scheme of things?  Why them, and not me?

Or maybe, you're still mourning and none of this means anything to you, because time hasn't changed the effect of your loss.

Regardless of where you were that day, or which of these survivors you are, know that you are not alone.  Others are out there, with similar feelings and fears.  With the same questions and no answers.  Someone else is carrying this burden with you.  And Someone can even carry your burden for you.

So, in the midst of all that you're feeling today, I encourage you to take a step back.  Release your thoughts, your feelings, and your fears.  Take on a lighter burden. One of hope.  One of grace.

Sincerely,
Another Survivor

No comments: