I hope I don't come off as someone who enjoys pawning her children off onto others as a means to freedom to do what she pleases. It is not how I mean it or how I feel about it. Again, I adore them. I have truly enjoyed being a stay-at-home-mom for 11+ years. We made drastic sacrifices (including moving to the God-forsaken desert) in order for me to do that because it was what I wanted--not because someone told me to, not because it's "right", but because I wanted to be the one to be home with my kids. I never regretted that either (well, except for moving to the desert...). I especially loved the baby and toddler years. But, now that they are older, it seems silly for them to be around me all the time. They are very independent (making their own breakfast and lunch; getting themselves to school--we live CLOSE; doing chores; etc.). And yet, they (especially my 8-year-old daughter) still have a strong need to have Mommy-time (or Mom-time, for the 11-year-old). We play games. And read stories. And pray together. My bonds with them are still strong. And, because I know their personalities and I know my limitations, I am not sure I would be as close to them if they were at home more. So, in our house, the first day of school is an exciting day. And throughout the school year, we get to enjoy strengthening our bond with conversations about their days at school.
I get excited to see their excitement about a new teacher on the first day. I love having a scheduled, structured day 5 days a week, 9 months a year. I love listening to them talk about the best and worst parts of their days throughout the year (a dinnertime tradition). I love seeing them make friends and watching those friendships grow. I love that, as they get older, and as their relationships with Christ get stronger, they act as salt and light to little kids who might not get that anywhere else. Public school allows this for our children. And we've never regretted having them in public school either.
One thing I will admit--by the end of April/beginning of May, I am ready for school to be over. I am ready for some more quality time with my kids. I am ready to be more lax with bedtimes and schedules. I am ready to be done helping with homework (or nagging them to do it if they don't want/need my help). I am ready to sleep in. And, then, come August, after 8 weeks or so home, I am ready for them to go back. (And they, too, are ready to go back.)
Just so you know, my children have never displayed any sadness or fear on their first days of school. Even after going to so many schools in their short lives. Today was the first day of school in my son's FOURTH elementary school (he's in 6th grade), and my daughter's THIRD (she's in 3rd grade). But, they were still excited. And I can't wait until I walk down the street to pick them up and to hear all about it!
Taking myself on a date for some free wifi is just an extra bonus! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment