Wednesday, March 27, 2013

And Just Like That....

It's over.  A bitter end to a bittersweet journey.  I've known for awhile but it wasn't certain until I had my exit interview today.  What a humiliating experience.  It's bad enough that I flunked out of nursing school, but to make it all formal.....  Ugh.

Where did it go wrong?  I understood concepts.  I did well on projects.  I did well in skills lab and clinicals.  But, I didn't get 75% or more on all the tests (a requirement), so I'm done.  I am still in shock.  We all laughed at our instructors, who told us that Winter and Spring terms were for "weeding out" the weak from the strong.  And here I am--a weed.  And I am not the only one.  11 other classmates are also out of the program.  And all are just like me--one or two questions away from passing.  The test I failed, 18 students total failed (and 5 of us failed out because of it).  But, the teachers refused to take into consideration the concerns of students on several poorly written questions--to either toss them or allow them as "freebies".  The reason only 5 of us are out (for that test anyway--others were out from Patho and Pharm as well) is in our program you need a cumulative test score of 75%; the test brought our scores under that (mine is at 73%--2 questions), but the others had strong enough midterm grades to keep them above it.  Unfortunately, I made a huge bubbling error on the midterm that cost me 4 questions; but teachers have to go with what is on the scantron, not what is circled on the test.  So, I "failed".  I got an A in Pharmacology and a B in Patho.  And technically, I got a B in Nursing (because of my papers and projects), but since I didn't meet the test requirement, they disregard the other grades, so it will go down as a D on my transcript.  I have NEVER had a D in my life.  Maybe on a few quizzes or tests, but NEVER a final grade.  It literally makes me sick to my stomach to think of it.  I am pissed that all of the time and energy I put into those other projects don't count for anything.  It is so frustrating.  I am still in shock that this is happening at all.

This is a really difficult time for me.  I've spent the past 4 years pursuing this dream, believing it was God's plan for me.  So many times along the way, it felt as though it was over, but a miracle would happen and I would be on my way again.  This time, that isn't going to happen.  And now I've lost a sense of myself; of a person I was becoming.  I was becoming a nurse.  And now I feel so lost.  I feel as though I am watching it happen to someone else.  I've never been a failure, academically.  So, now I am losing that part of myself who was an excellent (even extraordinary) student.  There was a time when I could get As without studying.  So long as I paid attention in class and did assigned readings, I was golden.  I never needed "study" time.  Until A&P (and really, only for certain parts of A&P).  And then nursing school.  It was incredibly frustrating to study hard and barely get As, or even get Bs here and there.  And now this.....

There is going to be a serious period of adjustment.  I can't look anyone in the face, not even my family.  When I think of how much time away from them I sacrificed for this--all for nothing?  And let's not talk about the amount of money I wasted.  Again, for nothing.  I am so humiliated.  Even though there are others who failed out along with me, I am not comforted.  I would not wish this upon them either.  But, they have been a huge support to me.  As well as others in my cohort who are continuing on.  They are all amazing people and I am going to miss them.  I truly don't know where I go from here.

And just like my usual stages of grief, acceptance is the first thing I've done.  I've accepted that this is over.  But, beyond that, I don't know.  I have the option to re-enter next year, where I left off.  And graduate in 2015.  But, I don't know if I want to--or if I should.  What if I fail again?  Maybe I a just not cut out to be a nurse......and I am tired of wasting time and money trying to prove that I am.  And all that time away from my family.  Ugh.  It just makes me so angry.  And disappointed.  I feel awful that I've failed--my family, my friends, myself.  And, I am also sad.  Sad that I won't be joining my cohort in Spring.  Sad I won't be pinned in 2014.  Sad that I might have misinterpreted God's plan for me.

I need a break.  A physical break, a mental break, an emotional break, even a spiritual break.  This is just how I cope with things--pulling away and inward.  It's the introvert in me.  But, I am so grateful for my family and friends, being there to get me through this.  Thank you for your love, prayers, and encouragement throughout this journey.  I will need them over the next few months of adjustment.  For me and our family.  For now, I cannot let go of the fact that our Sovereign God is merciful and kind.  And He has a plan for me.  It is time I truly lean into Him and find it.....

1 comment:

Brandy said...

Love you, friend. <3