Monday, August 20, 2012

Encouragement From the Secular

It's no secret that God often speaks to me through songs and books and even movies or TV shows that aren't "Christian".  In fact, I have found that it is more often through those things than through prayer, or the Bible, or encouragement from my fellow Christians.  Some might say that's "wrong" or whatever, but it is reality for me and I am thankful God uses a variety of mediums to get His point across.

Lately, many friends have been having a crisis of faith.  While I am currently not going through that, it is not to say I haven't had one or two in the past (and not necessarily at times when people would think, such as Ezra's death).  I do what I can to support my friends during these times, knowing full well there isn't much I can do or say to make them feel better or "snap them out of it".  God prunes, and its painful.  And sometimes, it feels like He's casting us aside when we need Him most.  Usually, in those moments, He is demonstrating his sovereignty and opening the door so we can go to Him (not vice versa, which is what we most often expect).

There is a song by the ever-brilliant Mumford and Sons that truly speaks to the heart of this matter (well, in a secular point of view, that may or may not have anything to do with God).  One particular lyric stands out to me from this lovely song: "(I) I can't promise you that I won't let you down."    I really felt God speaking to me through it.  He doesn't promise us that everything will go as we expect; or that prayers will be answered in the way we want.  He doesn't promise us that we won't experience pain or disappointment.  In fact, there are parts in the Bible which state quite the opposite (John 16:33, Acts 14:22, 1 Peter 4:12-19, 2 Tim 3:12).  If we are truly living out our Christian faith, we will experience let down.  We will be disappointed.  Life isn't promised to us as easy and carefree.  But, eternal life, everlasting existence, is promised to us through Jesus.  Which brings me to what the chorus of this song conveys, "But hold on to what you believe, in the light; When the darkness has robbed you of all your sight."  That is what matters.  Holding firm to what we believe, despite the disappointment, despite the let down.  In the darkest moments and times of pruning.

God is faithful.  We might be let down in this life, but ultimately we are not let down.  Because of Christ, and what He did for us.  Eternal life with the Father.  What an amazing promise!  Thanks Mumford, for speaking it to me in a different way this week.  And I hope it can speak to some of you who are experiencing the let down and disappointment.  I pray it can encourage you the way its encouraged me.



No comments: