Thursday, November 11, 2010

Contentment

With the approach of Thanksgiving (2 weeks!), I get into a very reflective mode. And it always leads to a state of repentance because I know I should be reflecting on giving thanks all year round. Contrary to Biblical instruction, I do not "rejoice always" nor do I "give thanks in all circumstances" (1 Thes 5:16-18), and I fall short when it comes to "doing things without grumbling" (Phil. 2:14). And every year, I "commit" to being more content in life, getting that contentment from God and not from my worldly circumstances. And each year, I fail. So, once I again, I want to make that commitment, not "try", but be serious about following the Lord's instructions through Paul and rejoice always, give thanks in all circumstances, and to be content within those circumstance (Phil. 4:11-13). I do not want to depend on worldly things to bring me joy. I do not want to feel the "need" for something to be content. (Those of you who know me know that I am not talking about materialistic things, as I am not a materialistic person; I am referring more to the circumstances pertaining to my health and location and other "life" circumstances.) I want to experience the true joy and peace that is promised to us, that comes from God alone. I would love it if I could have some prayerful partners to hold me accountable and to challenge themselves to follow these instructions along with me. I KNOW that we can only be blessed from it.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 ~ "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus."

Philippians 2:14-15 ~ "Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation."

Philippians 4:11-13 ~ "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength."

2 comments:

Christine said...

As Christians, this should be our desire and goal. We all fall short because we are still sinners. I will join you in prayer dear sister ( in Christ and by blood!) and know that it's a struggle I have too! Let's keep each other accountable! :)
Love you! <3

Brandy said...

Gosh, it is so easy to get caught up in wordly things and expecting them to bring us joy. I've really been struggling with that since I've come home from South Africa. I will hold you accountable as much as possible. xoxo